[comp.unix.xenix] Duplicating XENIX distrib

william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) (06/22/89)

Just to throw a wrench in the works -- my MSDOS 3.3a would *not*
correctly diskcopy the N1 Boot diskette of the SCO 2.3 in my package
either.  There appeared to be no problems -- except that installation
could not be completed with the MSDOS copied 96 TPI diskette!

Sign me 'still in DOS -- too scared of nix'
---
 * Via Qwikmail 2.01

edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) (07/11/89)

In article <89070708053220@masnet.uucp> william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) writes:
>Just to throw a wrench in the works -- my MSDOS 3.3a would *not*
>correctly diskcopy the N1 Boot diskette of the SCO 2.3 in my package
>either.  There appeared to be no problems -- except that installation
>could not be completed with the MSDOS copied 96 TPI diskette!

Since I'm not familiar with the use and capabilities of msdos diskcopy,
I don't know the answer to the following two questions, so I'll toss
them out for consideration:

1/	Does msdos diskcopy know what to do with a mountable diskettes,
	as opposed to tar diskettes?  The N1 (I suspect, I haven't
	checked all my distribution diskettes) is the only one with
	a mountable filesystem.

2/	Just how smart is msdos diskcopy?  Can it copy device files?
	(I don't have a msdos manual handy, or I'd scrutinize it for
	the answer to that one.  :-) )

		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

  Ed. A. Hew             Technical Trainer             Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (07/14/89)

In article <2056@egvideo.UUCP> edhew@egvideo.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
>In article <89070708053220@masnet.uucp> william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) writes:
>>Just to throw a wrench in the works -- my MSDOS 3.3a would *not*
>>correctly diskcopy the N1 Boot diskette of the SCO 2.3 in my package
>>either.  There appeared to be no problems -- except that installation
>>could not be completed with the MSDOS copied 96 TPI diskette!
>
>Since I'm not familiar with the use and capabilities of msdos diskcopy,
>I don't know the answer to the following two questions, so I'll toss
>them out for consideration:
>
>1/	Does msdos diskcopy know what to do with a mountable diskettes,
>	as opposed to tar diskettes?  The N1 (I suspect, I haven't
>	checked all my distribution diskettes) is the only one with
>	a mountable filesystem.
>
>2/	Just how smart is msdos diskcopy?  Can it copy device files?
>	(I don't have a msdos manual handy, or I'd scrutinize it for
>	the answer to that one.  :-) )
>
>		--ed		{edhew@egvideo.uucp}

Well, my experience with IBM PC-DOS 3.20 has been favorable.  The diskcopy
supplied with that version copies tar format diskettes and ones containing
filesystems.  I have successfully copied the following programs...

		1)  SCO XENIX Rel. 2.3.1 (complete, including N1)
		2)  SCO XENIX Development System Rel. 2.3
		3)  SCO XENIX GSS*CGI Computer Graphics Interface Rel. 1.0
		4)  SCO Professional Rel. 1.1
		5)  SCO Foxbase+ Rel. 1.0

All have been extensively tested.  I loaded my system from the backups, not the
originals.  diskcopy was also able to copy the Intel XENIX R3.4 distribution
floppys also, but in that case it could not copy the boot disk.  That is
understandable considering that Intel minis are a totally foreign hardware
platform and the bootstrap is an iRMX relic, no resemblence to DOS or SCO.

BTW, SCO XENIX can execute Intel XENIX binaries.  Including the Intel
Development System!  When compiling to 8086 code with full optimization, the
Intel Development System (under SCO XENIX) produces much smaller binaries than
the SCO Development System.  Only one problem, the Intel XENIX R3.4 Development
System that I tested, could only compile up to 286 code.  Need the SCO package
to do 386 development.  :-(  Has anyone tried R3.5 binaries?  ('386 version)

						--Carmen

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (07/15/89)

In article <89070708053220@masnet.uucp> william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) writes:
>Just to throw a wrench in the works -- my MSDOS 3.3a would *not*
>correctly diskcopy the N1 Boot diskette of the SCO 2.3 in my package
>either.  There appeared to be no problems -- except that installation
>could not be completed with the MSDOS copied 96 TPI diskette!

My site missed the beginning of this thread, sorry.

I received the SCO 2.3GT Upgrade on 5.25 diskettes, so I had them copied
for my 3.50 drives. No way N1 would boot.
It took hours to find, but there's a simple fix, which is to copy the
correct boot track onto the N1 diskette. This boot track resides in /etc.
The proper 'dd' syntax can be scarfed from the /etc/mkdev/fd file.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		CIS: 72160,1341		jpr@jpradley.UUCP