[comp.unix.xenix] Partitions

jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (07/17/89)

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) writes:
>In article <1710@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>
>| 	I am concerned that I will not be able to do this, because
>| Xenix appears to only allow one DOS partition on a drive, and I am
>| afraid that partition may be limited to 32 Mbyte.  Has anyone put
>| a large (100 Mbyte) DOS partition on the same drive as Xenix? Or put
>| multiple 32 Mbyte partitions.  If I cannot use a single drive for
>| both Xenix and DOS as I wish, I may be better off getting 2 150 Mbyte
>| drives.
>
>  Xenix will allow about anything, but it only seems to use one
>partition per drive, and that must be as follows:
>	1. a "primary DOS partition"
>	2. size <= 32MB
>	3. starting at the beginning (cylinder 0) of the disk
>
>  You can have other DOS partitions, but Xenix probably won't use them.
>You might want to have a small 5-10MB primary DOS partition and then a
>big one so you could use the primary as a buffer.
>
>  Note: when running DOS partitions > 32MB you get a larger cluster size
>and every file takes up more space. If you don't have large files you
>may be happier with several small partitions.
>	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
>  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

I am using Xenix 2.2 on my Maxtor XT1140 (120 meg) with dos 3.3.  Seems that
the extended dos partition is not readable as a dos partition by Xenix, but
the primary dos partition is.  My drive is configured as follows:
part 1:  Primary DOS
part 2:  Extended DOS
part 3:  Xenix
part 1:  32 mb
part 2:  50 mb
part 3:  40 mb  (or there abouts

I have had no problems.
Jim

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jdeitch
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INET: jdeitch@pnet01.cts.com