[comp.unix.xenix] Adaptec 2372 RLL with Seagate ST-4096 MFM

matt@holmes.home.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) (07/16/89)

I'm running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.2 with a Seagate ST-4096 80 megabyte hard disk
and I'm considering trying to run it RLL with an Adaptec 2372 controller.
Is it bad news to try to run MFM drives RLL, or does it depend on the
particular drive?  Has anyone tried the 4096?  Does anyone have an RLL
that they like better than the 2372?  And, finally, are there any
XENIX repercussions of using an RLL controller that I should know about?

Thanks in advance.
--
Matt Larson             Internet: matt@holmes.home.nwu.edu
Voice: (815) 226-3961 (day) UUCP: ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!nucsrl!holmes!matt

In article <227@holmes.home.nwu.edu> matt@holmes.home.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>I'm running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.2 with a Seagate ST-4096 80 megabyte hard disk
>and I'm considering trying to run it RLL with an Adaptec 2372 controller.
>Is it bad news to try to run MFM drives RLL, or does it depend on the
>particular drive?  Has anyone tried the 4096?  Does anyone have an RLL
>that they like better than the 2372?  And, finally, are there any
>XENIX repercussions of using an RLL controller that I should know about?

Most of them work fine.  But not all.  Check CAREFULLY with some disk
analysis software (if you have it available) before you put important things
on the drive, and even then keep good backups.

We have done this, and had it work.  We've also seen it fail.

I prefer the WD1006-V/SR2 controller over the ACB2372A.  The WD is track
buffered -- the ACB is not.  That is the biggest difference, and it is quite
noticable from the performance standpoint; the WD is some 3 times faster than
the ACB board!

(then again, we sell the WD boards... :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (07/17/89)

In article <227@holmes.home.nwu.edu> matt@holmes.home.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>I'm running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.2 with a Seagate ST-4096 80 megabyte hard disk
>and I'm considering trying to run it RLL with an Adaptec 2372 controller.
>Is it bad news to try to run MFM drives RLL, or does it depend on the
>particular drive?  Has anyone tried the 4096?  Does anyone have an RLL
>that they like better than the 2372?  And, finally, are there any
>XENIX repercussions of using an RLL controller that I should know about?

As far as I know Seagate makes just one kind of drive which they sell
both as a 80Mbyte MFM and a 120Mbyte RLL drive.
There are 2 points of consideration, which unfortunately are contradictory:
1) they supposedly test drives (i.e. media quality) before they label them
   and the ones that are good enough become RLL drives, the others MFM.
2) there is a much larger demand for the MFM drive than for the RLL drive,
   so lots of drives that are good enough for RLL are being sold as MFM.

So if you gen a 4096 you may or may not have one that failed in 1) or one
that didn't fail but was labeled 4096 because of 2).

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (07/18/89)

I have had 4 for 4 with new 4096's, 1 for 2 with old (> 20k POH). This
works well. The one which wouldn't RLL died a month later with about 3
years (full time) operation.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (07/21/89)

In article <227@holmes.home.nwu.edu> matt@holmes.home.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>I'm running SCO 386 XENIX 2.3.2 with a Seagate ST-4096 80 megabyte hard disk
>and I'm considering trying to run it RLL with an Adaptec 2372 controller.

We have used the 2372 with SCO Xenix 2.2.1 and 2.3.1 with excellent results
on several machines.  I prefer the original 2372 (AT size card) over the
current 2372B, becasue I like the setup program in the card bios better.

>Is it bad news to try to run MFM drives RLL, or does it depend on the
>particular drive?  Has anyone tried the 4096?  Does anyone have an RLL
>that they like better than the 2372?  And, finally, are there any
>XENIX repercussions of using an RLL controller that I should know about?

Seagate gests testy about running RLL on a disk they have released as MFM.
I'm told it voids the warranty and they will not repair it under any
circumstances, warranty or not (but who uses Seagate for out of warranty
repairs, anyway?). It should be noted that I am no fan of Seagate, but
this is not intended to be a flame of Seagate.

I have had good success running MFM disks on the Adaptec 2372 RLL controller.
I suggest you do some intensive disk testing before you place the disk in
service, such as several destructive scans using SCO disk initialization
routines.  Personally, what I do is set up the disk for DOS and use
Prime Solutions Disk Technician Advanced to perform several "monthly"
tests (very thorough) and then print out the error reports.  These reports
are then used to spare out the bad sectors in a re-setup of the disk,
then SCO Xenix is installed.  I have cut my disk errors considerably with
this procedure on several machines (both DOS and Xenix).

Note: Xenix and DOS will not live on the disk together if the disk is
1024 cylinders or more uithout some special considerations.

I cannot personlly vouch for the 4096, I have not used them.  My only
real problem with the Adaptec 2372 is they are often in short supply.
You can use the 2370 and an separate floppy controller anyway.  We have
tested the 2370/2372 in a two controller setup in SCO Xenix 2.3.X with
execellent result (just set the jumpers on the second controller
correctly).  We have stopped using WD controllers and now specify the
2372/2370 as our standard product issue.

            Macy Hallock                 fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
           F M Systems, Inc.             hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
           150 Highland Dr.              uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
           Medina, OH 44256              Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
 Disclaimer:  My advice is worth what you paid for it. Your milage may vary.