[comp.unix.xenix] Miniscribe drive - quick advice

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (07/22/89)

This sort of posting strikes me as insipid; yet here I am
making one again.

I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?
I just don't have the info on hand, and I've seen a few
postings recently on such matters.  If someone can offer
a quick bit of advice, it might save me a few headaches.

In a word:  Should I call quickly and change the order?

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (07/25/89)

From article <4564@tank.uchicago.edu>, by goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz):
> I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
> will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
> 1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
> However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
> properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?

Actually there may be a problem with the controller, indirectly.

I have found that the only Western Digital controller that hasn't
given me some amount of grief is the WD1006VSR2 track buffered, etc.
ST-506 interface RLL controller. For all other needs I have found
the DTC line of controllers to be exemplary. The DTC firmware
does not flinch when you tell it your hard disk has more than
1024 cylinders and has provisions for attaching removable devices
3 and 4 on the rear apron of the card.

I am posting this article using a 386 system with a 1166 cylinder
Priam hard disk drive, partitioned into 33MB DOS  and the rest
for Xenix. I guess it is working. Note: this is an ST-506 interface,
but the DTC6280 utilizes ESDI.

If this helps, here is the output of my fdisk 'Display partition' option:

	+-------------+----------+---------+----------+--------+---------+
	| Partition   | Status   | Type    | Start    | End    | Size    |
	+-------------+----------+---------+----------+--------+---------+
	| 1           | Inactive | DOS     | 1        | 2519   | 2519    |
	| 2           | Active   | XENIX   | 2527     | 8154   | 5628    |
	+-------------+----------+---------+----------+--------+---------+

Hope this helps, you and others.

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (07/26/89)

In article <317@csense.UUCP> bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes:

| I am posting this article using a 386 system with a 1166 cylinder
| Priam hard disk drive, partitioned into 33MB DOS  and the rest
| for Xenix. I guess it is working. Note: this is an ST-506 interface,
| but the DTC6280 utilizes ESDI.

  Is this a special version of Xenix? My impression was that Xenix only
went to 1024 cylinders. Or have you set your controller to do some
mapping so that the disk looks like more {heads,sectors} and fewer
cylinders?
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

clyde@hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) (07/27/89)

From article <4564@tank.uchicago.edu>, by goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz):
> I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
> will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
> 1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
> However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
> properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?

No problem - just make sure that you put your DOS partition FIRST. DOS (V3.X
and earlier at least) doesn't address a disk bigger than 32MB, but Xenix
will quite happily start anywhere on the drive. So;

1) Install DOS first
2) Install Xenix, using the rest of the drive for the Xenix partition

and Bob's your uncle!
------------------------
Clyde Smith-Stubbs
HI-TECH Software, P.O. Box 103, ALDERLEY, QLD, 4051, AUSTRALIA.

ACSnet:		clyde@hitech.ht.oz
INTERNET:	clyde@hitech.ht.oz.au		PHONE:	+61 7 300 5011
UUCP:		uunet!hitech.ht.oz.au!clyde	FAX:	+61 7 300 5246

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (07/27/89)

In article <4564@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:

>I have a machine on order I intend to run Xenix on.  It
>will be coming with a 150 meg Miniscribe drive with a WD
>1007 ESDI controller.  No problem with the controller.
>However, will that drive have too many cylinders to run
>properly and effectively under Xenix along with MS-DOS?

We find that using a disk with over 1024 cylinders is a problem
with DOS 3.3 (Xenix 2.3.X doesn't care) in both ESDI and ST-506
installations.  We have not been able to get DOS and Xenix to
live together on the same disk when the disk is over 1024 cyl.
It appears to be a problem in fdisk partioning (10 bit addressing?)
with DOS.

Xenix 2.2.X and would only work with drives of less than 1024 cyl.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
                                  Your milage may vary.

In article <1345@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <317@csense.UUCP> bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes:
>
>| I am posting this article using a 386 system with a 1166 cylinder
>| Priam hard disk drive, partitioned into 33MB DOS  and the rest
>| for Xenix. I guess it is working. Note: this is an ST-506 interface,
>| but the DTC6280 utilizes ESDI.
>
>  Is this a special version of Xenix? My impression was that Xenix only
>went to 1024 cylinders.

No special mapping necessary.

We have installed (~ 4 weeks ago) a Xenix system with a 170MB ESDI drive,
which had 1224 cyls.

Just set it up in the dkinit for 1224 X 7, and it works fine.  I have
_disabled_ the BIOS ROMS on the controller, so I know that it is not doing
any remapping or other "funny stuff".

Works like a champ.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]