[comp.unix.xenix] SCO dial-in site install help

Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com (07/26/89)

I tried to install a dial-in site under SCO 2.2.3 using uucp and
followed all instructions including use of the uuinstall utility
When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

townsend@handel.mpr.ca (Paul Townsend) (07/26/89)

If I remember correctly, the "shere" you are receiving is coming from 'uucico'.
This is the process that controls UUCP sessions. Did you attempt to log into
the UUCP port directly (ie. from a terminal) -- If so you probably don't
want to use UUCP at all. If the UUCP link is to another system, and you want
to access your system from there, use a command such as TIP, which will allow
a terminal sessions over the UUCP link.

===
Paul Townsend -- Microtel Pacific Research  <<Part of the BC Tel Group>>
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| NET  : ...!ubc-cs!eric!handel!townsend  |  MPR Ltd                   |
| 					  |  8999 Nelson Way           |
| FONE : (604) 294-1471                   |  Burnaby BC Canada         |
| FAX  : (604) 293-5787                   |  V5A 4B5                   |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------------+

GU.GEYMONT%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Rick Geymont) (07/27/89)

You have set up aconnection for a uucp site. A dialup is set up quite
differently. Just set up the port to handle the baud rate, make sure it is
enabled, and log in using your normal id and passwd.
Rick Geymont

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (07/27/89)

From article <20741@cup.portal.com>, by Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com:
> I tried to install a dial-in site under SCO 2.2.3 using uucp and
> followed all instructions including use of the uuinstall utility
> When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
> instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
> any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

The "shere" message is one that is traded between uucico programs
when they are talking to one another.

Some logins, rather then starting a shell like sh or csh, are
configured to run a program called uucico.  You can see this in
looking at the 7th field (last) of a entry in the passwd file.
If it says "/usr/lib/uucp/uucico", then rather then getting a
normal shell on login, a uucico program will be run that attempts
to communicate with what it expects to be a uucico program
calling in from your system.

To fix this, use another login that does have a normal shell
started on login.

I also noticed that you are expecting the password prompt but are
getting the message of the day.  Message of the day shows that
login was sucessful and you are in.  If your login has no passwd
entry in the password field in the password file, then the login
program will not prompt you for a password, and you will be IN
the system.

I have worked some with uucp.  If you need to have a discussion
about whats happening, give me a call.

Hope this helps.
Larry
--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

ron@mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) (07/27/89)

In article <20741@cup.portal.com> Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com writes:

   I tried to install a dial-in site under SCO 2.2.3 using uucp and
   followed all instructions including use of the uuinstall utility
   When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
   instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
   any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

Mark, it sounds like you are running uucico as the login shell for
your dial-in line.  If the line is intended for uucp call-in, that is
correct, and the corresponding uucico will respond correctly to the
"shere".  If you want regular logins on the line, the login shell
(last item on the /etc/passwd line) should be /bin/sh, /bin/rsh, or
/bin/csh.
--

Ronald Florence			...{hsi!aati,rayssd}!mlfarm!ron

harlan@hardy.NBI.COM (Harlan Olson) (07/28/89)

In article <20741@cup.portal.com>, Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com writes:
> When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
> instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
> any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like your are logging in as 'uucp' or 'nuucp'.  Or perhaps the login
you are using starts /usr/lib/uucico as the login shell.

--
Customer Support Training        |       2995 Wilderness Pl.
303/443-9892 x2208               |       Boulder, CO  80301

In article <667@hardy.NBI.COM>, harlan@hardy.NBI.COM (Harlan Olson) writes:
> In article <20741@cup.portal.com>, Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino@cup.portal.com writes:
> > When I attempt a login I get the message of the day greeting, but then
> > instead of the password prompt I get "shere". I am unable to key-in
> > any further and have to wait for a disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
> Sounds like your are logging in as 'uucp' or 'nuucp'.  Or perhaps the login
> you are using starts /usr/lib/uucico as the login shell.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Should read /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.
--

pete@indep1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (07/28/89)

In article <2251@wasatch.utah.edu> GU.GEYMONT%SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU@wasatch.utah.edu (Rick Geymont) writes:
>You have set up aconnection for a uucp site. A dialup is set up quite
>differently. Just set up the port to handle the baud rate, make sure it is
>enabled, and log in using your normal id and passwd.
>Rick Geymont

What Rick means is that you should make sure you assign the shell (in
/etc/passwd) properly:
	If the account is to be used for normal users, the
	shell should be /bin/ksh, etc.

	If the account is to be used for uucp logins, the
	shell should be /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.

The port setup will handle either type of logon (provided it is set up
properly for baud rate, etc.).

The problem you had was that you tried logging into a uucp account
manually.  When you do that, you will get an 'Shere' response instead
of a '$' or '%' (or whatever) from a user shell.

Pete

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/29/89)

Not to pick on anyone specific, but:

In article <266@mlfarm.UUCP> ron@mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
>Mark, it sounds like you are running uucico as the login shell for
>your dial-in line.

I've seen about 5 responses that uucico is the "login shell for your
dial-in line".  Which is incorrect by implication, implying that once
set up that way, you can't use your dial-in line for anything but uucico.

/etc/passwd allows you to set the "login shell" for a specific *user*,
*not* line.  The originator of this thread set up a *uucico* login, and
logged in using that userid, so uucico started up.  Which would have
happened no matter where he logged in from (console, serial port, streams
channel, dial in, socket, and even "su" in some cases).  The only thing that
mattered was that he used a userid that he had assigned to be a uucico login.

Uucico logins are intended to be the userid that another *machine* uses
when it calls your *machine*.

All he needs to remember is "use the same login name you normally do".
Don't matter where you come from...

Mind you, since he didn't seem to understand this, I hesitate to imagine
that a uucico login is of any use to him whatsoever...  Though, sometimes
the documentation leaves a little to be desired as to the real distinction
between "dial-in access for a machine" and "dial-in access for a user".

Read the manual page for /etc/passwd...
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis