[comp.unix.xenix] Archive and SCO people READ ME

Problem:

Using SCO XENIX 386 2.3.[1-2], an Archive 2150L cartridge tape drive, a
SC402 controller and version 2.0 of the Archive Xenix driver I get
occasional open failures. If the tape hasn't been used for a bit, the
first attempt at a tar or backup will fail, but succeeds for a second
immediate try. It is as if the driver doesn't have a long enough timeout
period waiting for a response from the drive. This driver works fine
with an Archive 2060L drive and a SC499R controller. The same driver is
shipped with both drives.  Before anyone suggests it, yes, I have tried
various jumper combinations and it is definitely a driver problem.

I have contacted Archive's Tech Support. They were no help. They
couldn't tell me who to contact to find out if a patch is available or
if a new driver version is forthcoming. They admitted having seen the
same thing. They claimed they couldn't direct me to someone who could
answer this question because sometimes the driver is being developped at
Archive and sometimes at SCO.

So, if you work at Archive or SCO and are involved with the development
of this driver, PLEASE contact me. Or if you know someone who does,
PLEASE put me in contact with them.

Advance thanx,

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home  ...uunet!frith!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/29/89)

In article <3940@cps3xx.UUCP> jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>Using SCO XENIX 386 2.3.[1-2], an Archive 2150L cartridge tape drive, a
>SC402 controller and version 2.0 of the Archive Xenix driver I get
>occasional open failures. If the tape hasn't been used for a bit, the

What kind of driver did you have installed ? SCO Xenix 386 2.3.X comes with
the drivers already built-in. The drivers shiped with the Archive software are
only for SCO Xenix 386 2.2.X.

-Axel
--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer