[comp.unix.xenix] Streamer

hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) (01/13/88)

I have been searching for tape drive for PC/AT clones, which
would be

1) Reliable, no cheap toys.
2) Minimum storage size about 60M.
3) External drive, with cheap card in machine.
4) Drivers for Microport unices, xenix can be found, producing tape
formats compatible with 'bigger' computers like suns, NCR towers and
such things.
5) Has good quality/price ratio.
6) Adapters for many computers could be interesting, like Apple Macintosh,
PS/2.

Idea is to have local computer club software libraries on tapes, and one
tape unix which could be borrowed by local bbs sysops and club
members (thats why cheap card, as it will blow up quite often anyway.
Something like traveldisk card would be optimal solution, so people
using drive often could afford to get their own cards).
Also it's quite important to be able to transfer software to/from
unix systems.

I have been looking at Tecmar drive, as I have some good experience
with it, and it has been around quite long so I guess it's quite
stable product. However, I don't know if there's drivers for xenix
and uport unix, and if there is, where to get them from, and can I
read/write tapes compatible with anything else.

Mail, please.

Inet: hsu@santra ................. Kuutamokatu 5 A 7
Uucp: ...!mcvax!santra!hsu ....... 02210 Espoo .....
Fido: Heikki Suonsivu at 2:504/1 . FINLAND .........

chip@killer.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (01/16/88)

In article <9812@santra.UUCP> hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) writes:
>I have been searching for tape drive for PC/AT clones

I thought this might be of general enough interest to post.

We are sharing a Tecmar QT60-E tape drive among several systems, both
SCO XENIX and DOS.  It was purchased at a local Businessland in July
of 1987.  To date, the drive has been reliable and I can recommend it
with a few reservations.

To give you some idea of what we have:

QT60-E tape drive kit		60MB streaming tape
				DC600A tapes or equiv
				includes interface card, cable, DOS SW, doc
				$1372

Host Adapter Expansion kit	includes interface card, cable, HW only doc
				$159

XENIX Device Drivers		written by Sytron Corp.
				includes Sytos backup SW and doc
				$249

>1) Reliable, no cheap toys.
	Has been to date.
>2) Minimum storage size about 60M.
	This is max 60M...but there might be larger drives available.
	If this is an issue, send mail.  I probably have notes somewhere
	from my conversations with Tecmar.
>3) External drive, with cheap card in machine.
	I don't know if you consider $159 cheap, but I didn't see
	anything much cheaper (that would work!!) when I was looking.
>4) Drivers for Microport unices, xenix can be found, producing tape
>formats compatible with 'bigger' computers like suns, NCR towers and
>such things.
	Tar, cpio, and dd under SCO XENIX work fine.  Note that the
	standard tape driver in SCO V2.2 won't work with this machine.
	You need to get the Sytron driver.  Don't know about uport.
>5) Has good quality/price ratio.
	I'm satisfied.
>6) Adapters for many computers could be interesting...
	I didn't look into this.

Although I have no reservations about the hardware...I have several
problems with the Sytron software.  It does work.  The driver
installed very easily.  But I see several problems:

First...the driver seems fairly stupid.  When the tape is rewinding,
everything stops until the operation is complete.

Second...the Sytos software is horrible.  It is what happens when you
have people with a DOS mentatility producing *nix software.  It is pretty.
It uses menus.  It has colors.  Because it only allows you to program one
backup setting, you can't do little things like different levels of
incremental backups on different directories.  Oh...and also it screws
with the cursor and doesn't restore it when the program exits.  (I am
using some scripts which do a find/tar for my backups.)

Third...the ioctl()'s are different than those that SCO uses, and
therefore the SCO XENIX tape utilities will not work with it.  Also,
they don't document their low level interface, e.g. what are the
ioctl()'s.  Therefore, I can't retension a tape.

In spite of the above, I am getting done what I need.  Therefore, I
am satisfied with what I am using.
--
Chip Rosenthal         chip@vector.UUCP		| But if you want to sing the
Dallas Semiconductor     (214) 450-0400		|  blues, then boy you better

plocher@geowhiz.UUCP (01/17/88)

>I have been searching for tape drive for PC/AT clones

Bell Technologies (330 Warren Ave  Fremont, CA  94539   415/659-9097)
sells a series of 60 Mb tape drives - including a model with inexpensive
short slot card.

We have the full slot (Everex/Wangtec) combo and we can't complain at all.
The drivers are solid, they don't do dumb things like hanging the system
until the rewind operation is complete.  :-)

>1) Reliable, no cheap toys.
    it is reliable, also not a toy.
>2) Minimum storage size about 60M.
    it is a 60Mb unit that we use, Bell also has a (100? 120?) Mb unit which
    I haven't seen.
>3) External drive, with cheap card in machine.
    Yup - card costs ?? $90 US ??
>4) Drivers for Microport unices, xenix can be found, producing tape
>formats compatible with 'bigger' computers like suns, NCR towers and
>such things.
    Drivers provided for:
       Microport V/AT
       Bell Tech V.3-386
       IBM Xenix
       IBM Xenix 2.0
       SCO Xenix

    Also they provide PRE-LINKED kernels for the above as a generic method
for those who either don't want to or can't modify their kernel.  (no linkkit,
no compiler package, no local "Unix Guru" :-)

The tape format (CPIO or TAR) is compatible between Microport, Xenix (all),
Sun;  I am currently sending out a tape to someone with a 3Bx of some type
to try those machines out, too.

>5) Has good quality/price ratio.
	I'm satisfied.
>6) Adapters for many computers could be interesting...
	Bell seems to use the Everex (GOOD!) controllers; I think that Everex
	has a PS/2 card out there...

alfred@edvvie.at (Alfred Kovacs) (07/29/89)

Hey Folks outside on the Use-Net !

Is there any known problem with SCO-Xenix 368 Rel.2.2.3 for IBM PS2 Mod.
70/80 dealing with streamer-tapes.

I have a serious problem with the streamer IBM 6157-001 connected to IBM PS2
Mod. 80-111.

When I try to make a backup with the command "tar" I sometimes get a strange
filesystem.

Some normal files then look like this:
e.g.
cr-Stwx-wT 1 12602 13114 92, 58 Dec 5 2023 filename
b--sr---wx 1 26890 29472 9,  58 Jan 25 2026 termcap

If I do a "fsck" I get many damaged files and the message:

	      "Bad inode count wrong in superblock"

Also the MOUNTAIN-Streamer does not work correctly with IBM Mod. 70/80.
If i try to restore files with the command

		  "tar -xvf /dev/rct0"

After having restored some files I suddenly get the message:

		  "tar: tape read error"

I have tried to change the interrupt level und some other things but it
doesn't help.

If these problems can't be solved, does anybody know supported streames,
which work without any problems.

Thanks for your help.

alfred

 EDV Ges.m.b.H Vienna              Alfred Kovacs (USENET: alfred@edvvie.at)
 Hofmuehlgasse 3 - 5               LOCAL:  alfred@eliza
 A-1060 Vienna, Austria/Europe     Tel: (0043) (222) 59907/343

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (07/29/89)

In article <47@eliza.edvvie.at> alfred@edvvie.at (Alfred Kovacs) writes:
>Is there any known problem with SCO-Xenix 368 Rel.2.2.3 for IBM PS2 Mod.
>70/80 dealing with streamer-tapes.
>I have a serious problem with the streamer IBM 6157-001 connected to IBM PS2
>Mod. 80-111.
>When I try to make a backup with the command "tar" I sometimes get a strange
>filesystem.
>Also the MOUNTAIN-Streamer does not work correctly with IBM Mod. 70/80.
>If i try to restore files with the command

Yes, there are problems with some of the drivers.
However, if you have contact with your VAR or reseller, you
should request the latest version of the drivers.
Mountain has an update driver for their FileSafe systems,
that when used work just fine.
But the original driver has some problems.
It is a combination problem, of timing
and MCA devices.  (They seem to create quite a problem to
get the devices to work properly).  I am not a fan of
MCA cards or the interface  (No flames necessary, since this
is just my opinion), but be very cautious about getting VERY
current drivers when on these devices.
don't depend on the fact that you tape is new, therefore it
is a Current driver.  You don't know how long it sat in
distribution before you got it.  Call immediately to ensure
that you get the latest release!!
Just a helpful hint.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..