[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix/386 v2.2.1 on a TeleVideo...Help !

glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz (G. Geers [ext 3241]) (07/27/89)

I have had quite a bit of experience installing xenix on 286 machines, however
, my knowledge of the 386 product is limited.
The hardware we have is a TeleVideo 386/16 with one floppy and a 40 Mb (type
14) hard disk. The configuration is set as 16 MHz cpu 5.3MHz bus video and bios
slow (I've tried lots of configurations - this is as delivered).

Now for the problem:
386 Xenix 2.2.1 doesn't boot (Boots on one of our Compaq's so the disk is ok)
However, 286 Xenix and Microport both boot and run (as expected).

Has anyone experienced this problem ? How do you get around it ?

Failing that can someone in Cal give me TeleVideo's phone number or, even
better, an email address ?

BTW The machine has 3.6 Mb RAM so running dos is a no no !!

This is pretty urgent.

						Thanks in advance,
									Glenn

In article <527@extro.ucc.su.oz> glenn@extro.UUCP (Glenn Geers) writes:

>I have had quite a bit of experience installing xenix on 286 machines, however
>, my knowledge of the 386 product is limited.
>The hardware we have is a TeleVideo 386/16 with one floppy and a 40 Mb (type
>14) hard disk. The configuration is set as 16 MHz cpu 5.3MHz bus video and bios
>slow (I've tried lots of configurations - this is as delivered).

Bios slow?  What's that?  Are you talking about a TELOAS, or a Tele-386?  I
will assume you're speaking of the Tele-386, not the TELOAS.

>Now for the problem:
>386 Xenix 2.2.1 doesn't boot (Boots on one of our Compaq's so the disk is ok)
>However, 286 Xenix and Microport both boot and run (as expected).

Microport also asks you if you're installing on a Televideo, no?  And you
answered "yes"?

>Has anyone experienced this problem ? How do you get around it ?
>
>Failing that can someone in Cal give me TeleVideo's phone number or, even
>better, an email address ?

If you have the Televideo disk controller board (you can tell because it has
LOTS of components on it -- and a Televideo legend) you must change it out
for a WD1003, WD1006 or compatible board.  The Televideo board is a special
track-buffered controller, and will not function with Xenix 386, or most
other operating systems.  Microport has special code in it to deal with
this board due to their past association with Televideo.

Once you have done this, you should have no further problems.  In fact, the
system I am posting this from is a Televideo TELE-386 (16 Mhz, 4MB RAM, etc)
-- sounds like we have the same machine :-)  They are nice and reliable.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (08/02/89)

In article <527@extro.ucc.su.oz>, glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz (G. Geers [ext 3241]) writes:
> The hardware we have is a TeleVideo 386/16 with one floppy and a 40 Mb (type
> 14) hard disk. The configuration is set as 16 MHz cpu 5.3MHz bus video and bios
>
> Now for the problem:
> 386 Xenix 2.2.1 doesn't boot (Boots on one of our Compaq's so the disk is ok)

Xenix does not play on the Televideo supplied controller.  You will have to
substitute a standard controller.  I had the same problem and went (at that
time) to a WD WA2, but you might want to use something faster.

Louis Schmittroth
--

Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University
auvax!louis