[comp.unix.xenix] WD1007WA2, uport and bad sectors

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training) (08/03/89)

In article ???, nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:

>In article <5343@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>WD has (at least) two versions of their 1007 ESDI controller; one of
>>them is only capable of a 2:1 interleave and should be avoided if at
---deleted---
>On the other hand, if unix 386 only allows a fixed number of bad sectors
>(64 in uport) and an entire track is bad somewhere, with large

Regarding the 64 bad sectors, is this per system (across all hard disks),
per hard disk or per filesystem.  Under XENIX bad tracking is on a
"partition" basis (DOS fdisk partition).  XENIX also supports multiple
XENIX fdisk partitions on a single hard disk, which means individual
bad track tables.  Perhaps some similar function is available in uport?

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com