[comp.unix.xenix] duplicate L.sys entries

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (07/02/89)

I am running SCO 2.2.1 (286) and here's what I would like to do:

I would like uucp to detect that my 2400b is busy and rotate to
my 1200b which is on a different physical line.

The problem is that when I put 2 entries in my L.sys file for the
same system, each w/different baud rates, uucp only sees the 1st
entry and fails w/line in use error, totally ignoring the 2nd
entry!

I find it hard to believe that you can only have one baud rate/phys
line defined per system. Surely you should be able to configure
a second line to be tried in the event the first was busy (on either
end of the connection).

Please reply email or post to comp.unix.xenix. All appreciated.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {texbell,uunet}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton@holston

news@amms4.UUCP (news administration) (07/06/89)

  In article <101@mdi386.UUCP> bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
  >In article <36@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
  >>                     when I put 2 entries in my L.sys file for the
  >> same system, each w/different baud rates, uucp only sees the 1st
  >> entry and fails w/line in use error, totally ignoring the 2nd
  >> entry!

  >If you want to be able to use both, you have to use the default lowest
  >in L.sys, and if you make sure that the devices file shows that the port
  >attached to the 2400 can handle both 1200-2400, then UUCP will try both
  >ports at 1200. There is still only ONE L.sys entry per system, and it leaves
  >it up to UUCP to find the correct line.
  >If there is another way, I would like to know also.

Well, I have a slightly different situation - I have two different phone numbers
for one machine.  I have two L.sys entries, one for each phone number.  If the
first is busy, the second gets called.

This works.  I can't particularly see why it would _not_ work if the baud rate
is the different value and the phone number is the same.  Presumably, uucico
parses the entire entry each time, picks up the baud rate and then scans the
L-devices file for an appropriate line (unless it doesn't do things this way ??)

(Of course, we are running vanilla UNIX S5R2V1.5.  Out of curiosity, does
HoneyDanBer do things differently - does HDB even use an L.sys file?  Dunno -
but I wish I did :-)

--
		Harry					 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, qtny, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg		 |  suggestions?

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/06/89)

In article <36@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
> The problem is that when I put 2 entries in my L.sys file for the
> same system, each w/different baud rates, uucp only sees the 1st
> entry and fails w/line in use error, totally ignoring the 2nd
> entry!

Yeah, yeah, i know -- you don't have honey danber uucp; but i'm afraid that,
short of writing some kludgey scheme to rotate (L.sys) files around containing
different orderings of the lines to use, you're stuck with what ya got.

sorry.

What i have to do on my one xenix system is occasionally get a uustat -mall and
note which systems have not been contacted in a week or more and then, if
necessary, manually reorder the appropriate lines in L.sys and force a call,
then reorder again, if necessary.

A real pain in the arss.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)789-8643

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (08/08/89)

In article <36@holston.UUCP>, barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
> I would like uucp to detect that my 2400b is busy and rotate to
> my 1200b which is on a different physical line.
>
> The problem is that when I put 2 entries in my L.sys file for the
> same system, each w/different baud rates, uucp only sees the 1st
> entry and fails w/line in use error, totally ignoring the 2nd
> entry!
>
> I find it hard to believe that you can only have one baud rate/phys
> line defined per system. Surely you should be able to configure
> a second line to be tried in the event the first was busy (on either
> end of the connection).

If you want to be able to use both, you have to use the default lowest
in L.sys, and if you make sure that the devices file shows that the port
attached to the 2400 can handle both 1200-2400, then UUCP will try both
ports at 1200. There is still only ONE L.sys entry per system, and it leaves
it up to UUCP to find the correct line.
If there is another way, I would like to know also.
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@wells tbit+