[comp.unix.xenix] Less expensive version of SCO XENIX

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (06/20/89)

In article <728@serene.UUCP> rfox@pnet12.cts.com (Richard Fox) writes:
>So Mike, Is there a SCO version of unix that is very inexpensive (for
>students) to use on a xt/at system.  I would like to use Xenix (unix) for
>learning but cannot afford a large outlay of cash, does SCO have any stripped
>down packages for this application?

There is a 2-user version of both 286 and 386 XENIX available.  I
don't have a price sheet handy, but I think the 286 version goes for
$295, and the 386 version for $395.  This is about half the unlimited-user
prices of $595 and $695 respectively.  These are operating system-only
prices, but there are 2-user complete packages as well (operating system,
developement system, and text processing).  As I said, these prices
are from memory and may not be correct, so contact your dealer or sales
rep to be sure.  You can also upgrade the 2-user version later on to an
unlimited-user version.

The 2-user version allows logins on all 12 of your console multiscreens,
but only one serial port.  All the serial port drivers are still there,
and you can use them for other things (data collection, outgoing UUCP,
etc.), you just can't put a getty on more than one at a time.  The
primary use for a package like this is for a workstation, where only
one person would be using the machine.  If you don't need the extra
users, this is definitely the way to go.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (06/21/89)

In article <3766@viscous.sco.COM> I wrote:
>You can also upgrade the 2-user version [of SCO XENIX] later on to an
>unlimited-user version.

I was mistaken.  We currently do not offer an upgrade from
a 2-user to an unlimited-user license.

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (08/08/89)

In article <3772@viscous.sco.COM> rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
>In article <3766@viscous.sco.COM> I wrote:
>I was mistaken.  We currently do not offer an upgrade from
>a 2-user to an unlimited-user license.

What about an eventual upgrade from the GT vs to SCO UNIX?
Seems the only reason anybody would want GT is to run SCSI which will also be
supported by the Unix vs.
Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr