[comp.unix.xenix] Dialcodes not working in SCO Xenix 2.3.x

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/03/89)

While recently trying to use the Dialcodes part of UUCP on SCO Xenix, I
found that it doesn't work if you are using the SCO supplied dialers.
Upon examining the sources I saw that there is no provision in them for
the dial codes.  It appears that when SCO decided to use their dialers
instead of the normal HDB they didn't implement the dialcodes source.

Upon examining a 2.2.3 system I saw that the dialers supplied there also
didn't have the necessary code.  I tried this using different dialers on
both systems.  I have included below the Systems entry, the Dialcodes
entry, and the results of the dial attempt.  SCO, any comments?

JB

Systems
-------

valinor Any ACU 19200 nyc5551212 -@-ogin:-@-ogin:-@-ogin: Uispi word: bayer

Dialcodes
---------

nyc	10652

./uutry valinor
---------------

./uucico -r1 -Svalinor  -x5 >/tmp/valinor 2>&1&
tail -f /tmp/valinor: press <DEL> to quit when done
fillFlds: entered
fillFlds: returning
conn(valinor)
Device Type ACU wanted
mlock tty1A succeeded
dialer args :/usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT:-x5:/dev/tty1A:nyc12125551212:19200
dial: Bad phone number nyc12125551212
Forked 7840 Wait got 7840 Status 102000
could not connect (bad phone number)
mlock tty1A succeeded
dialer args :/usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT:-x5:/dev/tty1A:nyc12125551212:19200
dial: Bad phone number nyc12125551212
Forked 7841 Wait got 7841 Status 102000
could not connect (bad phone number)
getto ret -1
Call Failed: EXECDIAL LOCAL FAILURE
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (08/08/89)

In article <1096@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>While recently trying to use the Dialcodes part of UUCP on SCO Xenix, I
>found that it doesn't work if you are using the SCO supplied dialers.
>Upon examining the sources I saw that there is no provision in them for
>the dial codes.  It appears that when SCO decided to use their dialers
>instead of the normal HDB they didn't implement the dialcodes source.
>
>Upon examining a 2.2.3 system I saw that the dialers supplied there also
>didn't have the necessary code.  I tried this using different dialers on
>both systems.  I have included below the Systems entry, the Dialcodes
>entry, and the results of the dial attempt.  SCO, any comments?

One of our UUCP support engineers writes:

It is not the function of our Dialer programs to read the Dialcodes file.
Use of the Dialcodes file is accomplished by adding a \T to the end of the
Devices file entry in SCO XENIX Release 2.3. Thus the dialer program is
always passed a valid phone number.

For example, a Systems file entry such as:

     sys Any ACU 9600 cruz5551212 ogin:--ogin: uucp word: pasS

needs to be accompanied by a Devices file entry of:

     ACU tty1A - 300-2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT \T

It is the "\T" that enables the reading of the Dialcodes file, which has
as an entry:

     cruz  1408

The dialer program is then passed a valid phone number of 14085551212.

In SCO XENIX Release 2.2.3 the L-dialcodes file is examined by default before
the dialer is invoked.

---------------
Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (08/09/89)

In article <1096@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>While recently trying to use the Dialcodes part of UUCP on SCO Xenix, I
>found that it doesn't work if you are using the SCO supplied dialers.

I had the same problem at first.
The solution was in the Devices file: You must end the device line
entry with a \D or  \T  (the \T forces translation of alpha codes through
the Dialcodes feature.)

As a telephone engineer, I find this feature very useful.  I can use
the same Systems lines on several machines and modify only the Dialcodes
for the local machines needs (some need a 9- in front of outside calls,
etc.)

On all SCO supplied C coded dialer programs I have seen, the \T is
required (not so on entries in the Dialers file).

Regards,

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
                                  Your milage may vary.