[comp.unix.xenix] 386 laptops

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (08/03/89)

I need some advice wrt a 386 laptop to run xenix.  Can anybody
recomend a Gridcase (16mhz, 2meg ram, 20meg hd) or Toshiba 5100 (40 meg hd)
or anything else?  Will off-the-shelf xenix run on it?
--
Stu Heiss - gargoyle.uchicago.edu!jpusa1.uucp!stu, stu@jpusa1.chi.il.us

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (08/04/89)

In article <1143@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
> I need some advice wrt a 386 laptop to run xenix.  Can anybody
> recomend a Gridcase (16mhz, 2meg ram, 20meg hd) or Toshiba 5100 (40 meg hd)
> or anything else?  Will off-the-shelf xenix run on it?

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has used SCO 386 Xenix on either
the Toshiba T5100 or T5200. I'm interested in hearing about performance,
the EGA compatibility, expansion, and general comments. Thanks in advance
and I'll keep a summary for anyone who wants a copy.
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (08/04/89)

In article <995@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
>In article <1143@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
>> I need some advice wrt a 386 laptop to run xenix.  Can anybody
>> recomend a Gridcase (16mhz, 2meg ram, 20meg hd) or Toshiba 5100 (40 meg hd)
>> or anything else?  Will off-the-shelf xenix run on it?
>
>I'd also like to hear from anyone who has used SCO 386 Xenix on either
>the Toshiba T5100 or T5200. I'm interested in hearing about performance,
>the EGA compatibility, expansion, and general comments. Thanks in advance
>and I'll keep a summary for anyone who wants a copy.

My reply to Stu Heiss got munched by a new modem (really - I
couldn't turn off the command character, new code to arrive
Monday) so I changed the modem and am replying on the net.

I've got the T5100 running Xenix and it works like a champ
even without the nifty Toshiba hooks.  To make it work
simply flip switch 5 in the DIPs in the rear - this removes
some of the plasma resolution but allows the Xenix to display.

I've had some trouble using some graphics code but the problems
are probably mine.  Everything does work fine in MUSH-DOS -
even using code that dinks with the registers.

I've taken the 40MB disk out and replaced it with the 100MB
disk giving me enough room for development sys, text processing,
etc and all of my source code.  The system even works using
TCP/IP SLIPed to my office machine.  It takes a bit of time to
move 10MB of software across a 19.2Kb line but overnight it's
not much of a bother.

The nicest thing about the T5100 is the auto switch on the
line voltage - it makes it unecessary to carry a screwdriver
to move the switch from one voltage to another.

The whole setup is so nice that we're ordering a couple
more of 'em any day now (I get the 5200 this time if it isn't
too big).

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109

eli@robechq.UUCP ( Robec Horsham PM) (08/10/89)

In article <995@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
>In article <1143@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
>> I need some advice wrt a 386 laptop to run xenix.  Can anybody
>> recomend a Gridcase (16mhz, 2meg ram, 20meg hd) or Toshiba 5100 (40 meg hd)
>
>I'd also like to hear from anyone who has used SCO 386 Xenix on either
>the Toshiba T5100 or T5200. I'm interested in hearing about performance,
>the EGA compatibility, expansion, and general comments. Thanks in advance

I've been using a T5100, 4MB RAM and a 40MB hard disk under 2.3.2
without much problem for about 4 months now.  One thing that I did
notice though... vidi e80x43 doesn't work.  I lose the lower half
of the font.  A real shame since I love 43 line consoles.  Also,
there was mention on this board about the need to throw switch 5
in the back.  I found that under DOS, some graphics apps would not
work correctly unless I returned switch 5 to its normal position.
You must do this * before * the boot for the change to have any
effect.

Eli Levine           Robec Distributors
                     rutgers!bpa!temvax!robechq!eli