[comp.unix.xenix] tcpip on ps/2

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/07/89)

	I just installed 2.3.2 on a PS/2 Model 80.  I also bought
	SCO's tcpip knowing it had no drivers for the PS/2.  I have
	a 3com 3c523 and the UngerMan Bass card for the ps/2.  Does
	anyone know of any drivers for these cards, or a tcpip that
	will work with them?
	Thanks for any info.
	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

lance@belltec.UUCP (Lance Norskog) (08/09/89)

In article <9196@chinet.chi.il.us>, randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

> 	I just installed 2.3.2 on a PS/2 Model 80.  I also bought
> 	SCO's tcpip knowing it had no drivers for the PS/2.  I have
> 	a 3com 3c523 and the UngerMan Bass card for the ps/2.  Does
> 	anyone know of any drivers for these cards, or a tcpip that
> 	will work with them?
> 	Thanks for any info.
> 	-randy
>
> --
> Randy Suess
> randy@chinet.chi.il.us

Western Digital has a Streams device driver for their line of WD8003
Ethernet/Cheapernet/Twisty/Starlan cards.  It has support for the PS/2 card.
The driver is available under non-disclosure from Western Digital to
resellers and others 'in the biz'; they may be willing to send it to you.
SCO should have a copy of this driver, and ought to have it in their release.
We use our own instead because we wanted to support the 3com 503 in its
shared memory mode.  Write me for more info.

For the record, we have had only 2 inquiries for TCP on PS/2 machines; this
lack of interest is probably why SCO TCP/IP has no PS/2 drivers.  Most
people who buy PS/2's go the whole IBM route: DOS, OS/2, or AIX and
Token Ring.

Lance Norskog
Sales Engineer
Streamlined Networks
thinman@cup.portal.com
415-659-1450

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (08/09/89)

In article <9196@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

>	I just installed 2.3.2 on a PS/2 Model 80.  I also bought
>	SCO's tcpip knowing it had no drivers for the PS/2.  I have
>	a 3com 3c523 and the UngerMan Bass card for the ps/2.  Does
>	anyone know of any drivers for these cards, or a tcpip that
>	will work with them?

This bit of info may or may not be of much use to you since you said you
already purchased SCO, but particularly for those out there owning PS/2's
I would take a hard look at AIX PS/2. It has TCP/IP with the driver for
the Ungerman Bass card, (or token ring for those that care) I don't think
we yet have a 3com driver but believe we soon may. It also has real BSD
job control (if you've never used it you don't know what you're missing)
and symbolic links. And if you have an 8514 video adapter and monitor
X windows is dynamite. Also, cost is fully competitive with vendors like
SCO and Interactive.

I know, I know this must be sounding like an advertisement considering my
signature but I am quite serious. I would run AIX on turnkey but it is not
a PS/2. Anybody who is even slightly biased to the BSD environment should run
to their local Businessland and see a demo. The only more fully BSD based
Unix for the 386 is Sun.

Naturally, standard Disclaimers apply.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/11/89)

]
]This bit of info may or may not be of much use to you since you said you
]already purchased SCO, but particularly for those out there owning PS/2's
]I would take a hard look at AIX PS/2. It has TCP/IP with the driver for
]the Ungerman Bass card, (or token ring for those that care) I don't think
]I know, I know this must be sounding like an advertisement considering my
]signature but I am quite serious. I would run AIX on turnkey but it is not
]a PS/2. Anybody who is even slightly biased to the BSD environment should run
]to their local Businessland and see a demo. The only more fully BSD based
]Unix for the 386 is Sun.
]Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu

	Sorry, but I disagree completely.  I took AIX off the PS/2
	and put XENIX on because XENIX is more UNIX than AIX could
	ever hope to be.  True, xwindows is nice.  However, has anyone
	ever heard of a C compiler on any other UNIX put out a 4 line
	copyright message every time cc is invoked??  Sure makes
	"nohup make emacs" fun looking for errors in the nohup.out
	file.  Many UNIX tools are replaced just because IBM wanted
	to.  No lp, lpr.  Just print.  Doesn't msdos have print?
	AIX is not UNIX.  It is IBM's version of a user friendly
	multiuser DOS.

	-randy
--
Randy Suess