[comp.unix.xenix] Tandy order number for the Adaptec

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (07/23/89)

<>
B>Could this person mail me the Tandy ordering information?

I'm not the person, but I think he now works for Adaptec.
The 16-Bit SCSI Adapter can be found on page 9 of the RSC-20 catalog.
The catalog number is 25-4161 and the price is $299.95.

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel B. Del More Nashua) (08/08/89)

In article <196500028@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>I'm not the person, but I think he now works for Adaptec.
>The 16-Bit SCSI Adapter can be found on page 9 of the RSC-20 catalog.
>The catalog number is 25-4161 and the price is $299.95.

The current price of the controller is $349.00 (today) be aware that they
have released a new catalog (also today) and the price is up to $499.00.

I beleive the wholesale price of this controller has been increased as,
if my short term memory serves me correctly, I was quoted $350.00 by one
of the larger Adaptec distributors.

So, if your planning to anyway, buy it now before they update the POS
price lists at the stores.

On another note, is anyone running SCO Unix?  Does it support SCSI?

Noel

--
Noel B. Del More             |                             decvax!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

eli@robechq.UUCP ( Robec Horsham PM) (08/10/89)

>In article <196500028@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>
>On another note, is anyone running SCO Unix?  Does it support SCSI?

Page 11 of the release notes for SCO UNIX 3.2 says that it
supports the AHA-154X SCSI.

I have not tried it myself.

Eli Levine           Robec Distributors
                     rutgers!bpa!temvax!robechq!eli

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (08/14/89)

In article <774@robechq.UUCP> eli@robechq.UUCP (Eli Levine - Robec Horsham  PM) writes:
->>In article <196500028@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:
->>
->>On another note, is anyone running SCO Unix?  Does it support SCSI?
->>
->Page 11 of the release notes for SCO UNIX 3.2 says that it
->supports the AHA-154X SCSI.
->I have not tried it myself.
->Eli Levine           Robec Distributors

Just as a matter of reference, it runs great. We use the 1542A board with the
floppy controller. While we haven't accurately timed anything, the general
feeling is that it even eats floppies faster.

But boy, SCO UNIX is B I G !

Fred Rump
--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (08/14/89)

In article <774@robechq.UUCP>, eli@robechq.UUCP ( Robec Horsham  PM) writes:
> >In article <196500028@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:
> >
> >On another note, is anyone running SCO Unix?  Does it support SCSI?
> >
> Page 11 of the release notes for SCO UNIX 3.2 says that it
> supports the AHA-154X SCSI.
>
> I have not tried it myself.
>
> --
> Eli Levine           Robec Distributors
>                      rutgers!bpa!temvax!robechq!eli

With regard to SCO UNIX System V and Adaptec SCSI:

I have tried it myself, and it does work. Between the revamped filesystem
and the brand-new device drivers, it's one hell of a system compared to
Xenix.

I don't know if SCO is doing anything with regard to upgrades, but I'd
be hard-pressed to find a reason to keep using Xenix (other than $$, which
can be pretty compelling) now that SCO has brought out their 3.2 release.

I've used it with the AHA-1540A and AHA-1542A controllers. The only obvious
difference is that the 1542A has an on-board floppy controller. It does
work quite well, but don't try to use the CDC Wren III drive with it. For
me, this device would not work at all, coughing up unusual controller
errors. The same drive works perfectly under DOS and ISC's 386/ix.
This is the most serious flaw I could find with their SCSI handling.

Everything you love about Xenix is there: the Microsoft C compiler, the
BSD commands, the on-line manual pages. Only this time, SCO has sweetened
the pot with Codeview (if you don't know what that is, ask someone), an
early attempt at POSIX compliance, and (alleged) C2-level security. If
you'd like to buy my copy of Xenix 2.3, you're welcome to it; as far as
I'm concerned, Xenix is dead. The best of it has been moved into a more
robust, more portable platform: System V, release 3.2. I don't speak for
SCO, and they may not wish to have the sheet pulled over Xenix so soon,
so I advise you to take my preaching with a grain of salt. There may be
advantages to sticking with Xenix that I've not seen. So far, the only
obvious ones are the (aforementioned) cost, and the more efficient
floating-point libraries.

Also, when I speak of the demise of Xenix, I mean only the 80386 version.
The other releases will, I'm sure, stay around as long as Intel continues
to sell the lesser processors.

If anyone has a compelling (technical) reason for staying with Xenix, I'd
be interested to hear it. That's not the snooty challenge it seems to be;
I really want to know how the community feels about the changes taking
place at SCO.

If you'd like to know more about SCO UNIX System V, drop me a line.

(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, freelance technical writer-----------------------------------+
|  ARPA: tyager%maxx@m2c.m2c.org (preferred) -or- tyager@apollo.com        |