[comp.unix.xenix] CD-ROM and SCO Xenix

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (08/08/89)

I posted this a while back and got zero responses. Perhaps I will have
better luck this time around.

I am looking for software drivers that will allow me to utilize any of the
currently available CD-ROM drives under SCO Xenix. If I could
make the CD-ROM a read only file system that would be great. Anyone have
any leads to this type of software? I'm surprised it hasn't already been
made available. Software developers take note!
--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/08/89)

In article <763@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>I am looking for software drivers that will allow me to utilize any of the
>currently available CD-ROM drives under SCO Xenix. If I could
>make the CD-ROM a read only file system that would be great. Anyone have
>any leads to this type of software? I'm surprised it hasn't already been
>made available. Software developers take note!

My company is busy doing just this for systems which support the NFS VFS
interface; namely, a specialized VFS interface to High Sierra/ISO 9660
CD-ROM disks.  Right now, it's being developed for workstations, but an
obvious next step would be a future version of Xenix/SCO Unix which had
NFS/VFS support.

Note that providing access to a read-only filesystem rarely gives you
everything you need to access the databases on most CD-ROM disks.
Committees have finally standardized on a filesystem format (which,
by the way, is hardly in universal use), but the format of the files within
that standard filesystem and the software retrieval methodology is still
mostly proprietary, undocumented and a Tower of Babel.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/15/89)

  Does the new version of PC_NFS let you mount PC filesystems on UNIX?
If so you have a cheap solution (relatively) by putting the Xenix and
DOS systems on a short ehternet. The TCP package from SCO is supposed to
get NFS at the same time Open Desktop comes out (isn't it?).
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen