[comp.unix.xenix] fido/uucp gate

danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) (08/18/89)

I noticed that many of the users now have fido and uucp addresses in
their footers.  I heard someone was developing such a program and wonder
if such has been release to the archives at all?

Also, do these programs run on the fido machines to allow them to
read uucp news from the unix machine, or do they run on the unix machine
to let the fido node be convinced the unix machine is just another node?

I ask this question because I run SCO Xenix 286 and would really like to
get some of the PC/Amiga/Mac/Atari users who read news off into another
Fido board and free up my phone lines for Unix users (they are almost
always busy).

If I could forward, for example, comp.sys.amiga, to fido echo in the area
then I would avoid alot of the traffic and place the users back in an
evironment they are used to as well.

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda 		| Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc. 	| Network: danielw@wyn386.UUCP ..sharkey!wyn386!danielw

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/20/89)

In article <114@wyn386.UUCP>, danielw@wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
> I noticed that many of the users now have fido and uucp addresses in
> their footers.  I heard someone was developing such a program and wonder
> if such has been release to the archives at all?

There currently is a package call UFGATE that runs under DOS and will
handle usenet quite well.  UFGATE has its own uucp that calls the Unix
host and initiates that transfer then tosses the mail into Fidonet
compatible messages which are then scanned into various Fidonet
bulletin board packages.  If you need to get the mail into and out of
Fidonet - that is one way - but I took another approach and just
dropped Fidonet and now am running real software doing what it is
designed to do..

> I ask this question because I run SCO Xenix 286 and would really like to
> get some of the PC/Amiga/Mac/Atari users who read news off into another
> Fido board and free up my phone lines for Unix users (they are almost
> always busy).

You sound like you have an ideal application for UFGATE.  Currently
on the Fidonet Echomail Backbone there are conferences on the specific
topics you mentioned above, but I have found that conferences (groups)
on usenet are of a more techincal nature.

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)