[comp.unix.xenix] dial and bidirectional _direct_ uucp lines

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (08/07/89)

I am running SCO 2.2.1 (286).  I have oldstyle uucp (L.sys, L-devices, etc).

How can I set up a bidirectional line WITHOUT a modem?  TFM's don't say
much about it.  I tried tweaking a dialer program but it didn't work.

I have an (true blue IBM) AT (model 339) which is direct connected to
a Motorla Delta 3600.  I would like a bidirectional connection, as my
development is split between the two machines, and I don't always want
to wait for the poll, or to have to go to the 3600 and manually kick
off a UUCP.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions?  Obviously
putting a modem in this hookup would be ridiculous.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

A bidirectional line is quite difficult without a modem.
You would need some fancy software.

The problem is that unlike with the modem, carrier detect will
always be present.  So each line, which as a Getty on it, will always
have the getty active.

Put two getty's at one another and it's real fun.  The first asks for
a login, and the second does two, except that gets taken as a userid, and
then the word "Password:" is taken as a userid on the other system etc. etc.

You need a silent getty that doesn't print any prompt, and even then
it's tricky.

As the port is always open, you have to be able to tell between a getty
that has the port truly open and a user on the port.  Otherwise you can't
know when it is safe to turn it around.

Sounds like a good TCP/IP with SLIP would be the right answer.  But
very few tcp/ip makers include SLIP.   I think SCO does, now.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/09/89)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>A bidirectional line is quite difficult without a modem.
>You would need some fancy software.

>You need a silent getty that doesn't print any prompt, and even then
>it's tricky.

This 'fancy' software is called "uugetty". Call it with the -r flag,
and it will only prompt for login after having received a carriage
return. It will then create a UUCP LCK.. file, so the line cannot be used
for dialing out.

>As the port is always open, you have to be able to tell between a getty
>that has the port truly open and a user on the port.  Otherwise you can't
>know when it is safe to turn it around.

There is a theoratical problem when both systems are trying to connect
to each other at the same time. I have not seen this happen in practice,
though.

Too bad it's not included in Xenix. But even if it were, you would
probarly have to rename it to getty, because there is no way
to have init respawn anything else then getty (that I know of).

Our AT&T 3B2 is connected with serial lines to both a Xenix
and an ISC 386/ix system, and we need twice as many serial lines
for Xenix as we do for 386/ix.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (08/21/89)

In article <1328@ctisbv.cti-software.nl>, pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
> There is a theoratical problem when both systems are trying to connect
> to each other at the same time. I have not seen this happen in practice,
> though.

Hmm, well its definitely not theoretical on my system (uPort 386/3.0e) -- i
have observed plenty of times when my system is dialing out and then somebody
calls in and gets a carrier on the modem.

Meanwhile, uugetty has already started waiting for the appropriate things in
the chat script and doesn't get any of them, while the user on the other end
keeps sending CRs and breaks in a vain attempt to get a login: prompt....

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!s5000!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)789-8643

The Chinese general Wu Ch'i once beheaded a man who had ventured into the enemy