[comp.unix.xenix] Using internal modem cards with SCO Xenix

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (08/14/89)

Hi,
Where I work, we've got two internal modems (can't remember make offhand),
configured as MS-DOS's COM3: and COM4:, but, when Xenix is started up, they
aren't listed on the first screen where it lists what you have in your system.
I can mkdev serial them allright, but when I try to access them with cu,
it comes back with an error messge like "cannot acces", or something...
what's wrong here??
Oh, ther version I have is 386 2.3.2.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
--
davek@lakesys.lakesys.com
uunet!marque!lakesys!davek

root@.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/15/89)

In article <958@lakesys.UUCP>, davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
> configured as MS-DOS's COM3: and COM4:, but, when Xenix is started up, they
> aren't listed on the first screen where it lists what you have in your system.

I thought that only COM1 and 2 were support by the stock release versions
of SCO unless you were using a smart card - or multiport board since SCO
expects the first com board on IRQ 4 and the second on IRQ 3.

--
Larry Snyder                         uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star XBBS/Usenet Site   219-289-3745 (PEP+) 219-287-9020 (HST)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/15/89)

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:

>Hi,
>Where I work, we've got two internal modems (can't remember make offhand),
>configured as MS-DOS's COM3: and COM4:, but, when Xenix is started up, they
>aren't listed on the first screen where it lists what you have in your system.

SCO has a patch for this problem.  I don't have the number in front of me
now, but call them and speak to the media desk.  Ask for the internal
modem patch.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

timk@xenitec.uucp (Tim Kuehn) (08/15/89)

In article <958@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dave Kraft) writes:
>Hi,
>Where I work, we've got two internal modems (can't remember make offhand),
>configured as MS-DOS's COM3: and COM4:, but, when Xenix is started up, they
>aren't listed on the first screen where it lists what you have in your system.
>I can mkdev serial them allright, but when I try to access them with cu,
>it comes back with an error messge like "cannot acces", or something...
>what's wrong here??

I've got the same problem with a Telebit Trailblazer/+ in a 286 Xenix.
It worked fine installed as COM2:, but no response as COM3:. Any
suggestions?

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk@xenitec	      |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |
|DOS/Xenix - SW/HW. uC, uP, DBMS. 		       Satisfaction Gauranteed|

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (08/16/89)

In article <56@.UUCP> root@.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I thought that only COM1 and 2 were support by the stock release versions
>of SCO unless you were using a smart card - or multiport board since SCO
>expects the first com board on IRQ 4 and the second on IRQ 3.

XENIX doesn't expect any magic cookie -- it uses whatever you've programmed.
If you haven't programmed anything, then it uses whatever default SCO gave
you.

It turns out that /usr/sys/io/sioconf.c is distributed with two entries
for dumb cards which correspond to the usual DOS COM1 and COM2 parameters.
The structure of this file allows you to associate any of SCO's serial
drivers with any of a number of addresses and interrupts.  About your
only limit here (other than keeping I/O addresses and interrupt vectors
unique) is the fact that /usr/sys/conf/master only allows four interrupt
vectors per device driver, hence there is a limit of four devices per
driver (unless the driver allows some sort of interrupt sharing, which
the dumb COM driver doesn't).  There is absolutely no reason why you can't
move your dumb COM cards to other addresses or interrupts, or throw in a
couple more.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/16/89)

> I've got the same problem with a Telebit Trailblazer/+ in a 286 Xenix.
> It worked fine installed as COM2:, but no response as COM3:. Any
> suggestions?

What kind of serial board are you using to provide support for COM3?
Will COM3 work with a terminal?  Are you trying to dial in or out using
the PEP on COM3?

It is my understanding that SCO only supports complete modem control
on the first two serial lines.

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)

In article <66@nstar.UUCP> root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>It is my understanding that SCO only supports complete modem control
>on the first two serial lines.

This is not correct.  The dumb comm driver provides two minor numbers
per adapter, one with and one without modem control.
--

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (08/17/89)

In article <958@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dave Kraft) writes:
>Hi,
>Where I work, we've got two internal modems (can't remember make offhand),
>configured as MS-DOS's COM3: and COM4:, but, when Xenix is started up, they
>aren't listed on the first screen where it lists what you have in your system.
>I can mkdev serial them allright, but when I try to access them with cu,
>it comes back with an error messge like "cannot acces", or something...
>what's wrong here??

It's been a quite I while since I've seen this one mentioned.

The reason you are having problems is that your internal modems cannot
be set to use interrupts other than IRQ3 or IRQ4.  For a serial device
to work under XENIX, it must be configured on its own interrupt vector.
IRQ4 is allocated to COM1, and IRQ3 is for COM2.  Since MS-DOS does not
use interrupts, manufacturers of serial cards have taken the I/O ports
used by COM1 and COM2, and simply extended them on up through the I/O
space, thus producing COM3, COM4, COM5, etc. (I've seen some cards that
claim to go up to COM10).  However, since XENIX requires interrupts as
well as the I/O ports, most of these modems and serial cards won't work
under XENIX above COM2.

However, if you can set these boards to use other interrupts, then you
can use them alongside existing COM1 and COM2 devices.  To do this, you
will have to modify the /usr/sys/conf/master file to tell the serial
driver to handle the additional interrupts.  Modify the "vec3" and "vec4"
columns for the "sio" entry, then rebuild your kernel.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/17/89)

}
}However, if you can set these boards to use other interrupts, then you
}can use them alongside existing COM1 and COM2 devices.  To do this, you
}will have to modify the /usr/sys/conf/master file to tell the serial
}driver to handle the additional interrupts.  Modify the "vec3" and "vec4"
}columns for the "sio" entry, then rebuild your kernel.

OK.  Since each device must have it's own interrupt, why not make two
serial ports both use the same interrupt, and modify sioconf.c to show
that the second serial port is nothing more that a second port on the
first serial card?  For these serial cards that go to com 10 (or
whatever), why not simply set up all the ports on the card to use the
same interrupt, and set up sioconf properly (specificaly the port count,
the interrupt vector, the base address of the board, the interrupt poll
address, and the spacing of the io ports on the board).  The only
potential problem is the interrupt poll address (as I see it)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon
500 Oakwood Ave.				...uunet!ispi!root
Roselle Park, NJ   07204    (201) 245-5922    jbayer@ispi.UUCP

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (08/23/89)

In article <1112@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes
about how to use more than two serial devices under XENIX:
>OK.  Since each device must have it's own interrupt, why not make two
>serial ports both use the same interrupt, and modify sioconf.c to show
>that the second serial port is nothing more that a second port on the
>first serial card?  For these serial cards that go to com 10 (or
>whatever), why not simply set up all the ports on the card to use the
>same interrupt, and set up sioconf properly (specificaly the port count,
>the interrupt vector, the base address of the board, the interrupt poll
>address, and the spacing of the io ports on the board).  The only
>potential problem is the interrupt poll address (as I see it)

This will work, provided one other condition is met: each of the
cards that share an interrupt must allow the IRQ line to "float"
when the card is not asserting it.  If one of the cards clamps
the IRQ line high (I believe the interrupt lines are active low),
another card might not be able to force it low to signal its interrupt.
The result at best would be missed or spurious interrupts, and at
worst, damage to the hardware.  I'm not trying to scare anyone out
of trying this; there is a lot of flexibility in sioconf and the
master file, so if you think you can make use of it, by all means
do it.  However, you should also be aware of the potential pitfalls
when using hardware designed primarily for MS-DOS.