[comp.unix.xenix] Strange modem problem

root@dynasys.UUCP (Super user) (08/10/89)

I've got a strange modem problem I thought someone out there might be able to
help me with.  I'm running Xenix 386 V2.3 on an Everex 386/16.  I have an
internal 2400baud Everex modem.  I have the modem's non-volatile memory
configured so the default is Z0 and I have Z0 set with echo off and responses
off (ATE0Q1).  I have the modem configured as COM2 and I have tty2A enabled.
the /etc/ttys entry looks like this: 12tty2A.  I have I changed the gettydefs
pointer to 3 for modems calling in at 2400baud.  The gettydefs file is 1 for
300baud, 2 for 1200 baud, and 3 for 2400 baud and 1 goes to 2, 2 goes to 3,
and 3 goes to 1.  I'm including all of this so I will not get the questions I
know I would get if I didn't.
----What happens is that someone calls, I get "Loose cable or noise on dev 8,
port shut down" when it rings, the modem answers, the two modems connect but at
300 baud.  No login is given and break doesn't work.  This is normally a symptom of not having echo off or the responses off (ATE0Q1), but I have this
configured correctly and have checked it many times.  I have use both the
compiled dialer - dialHA24- and the Dialers file.  It still happens with both.
I'm beginning to think its the modem - that somehow its still sending a ring
or partial ring signal to cause Xenix to scream bloody murder.  I've been
working on this for several weeks and it's driving me nuts.  Does anyone out
there know of any problems with INTERNAL Everex modems or do you see what my
problem is (or the solution - do I dare hope??)?
I'd appreciate any help you could give me.
                                                   uunet!dynasys!root
Reply by mail is preferred at this point!!

--
        Jesse W. Asher
        Dynasys               (901) 382-1705

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (08/15/89)

In article <21@dynasys.UUCP> root@dynasys.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>I've got a strange modem problem I thought someone out there might be able to
>help me with.  I'm running Xenix 386 V2.3 on an Everex 386/16.  I have an
>internal 2400baud Everex modem.
    (configuration info deleted...)
>----What happens is that someone calls, I get "Loose cable or noise on dev 8,
>port shut down" when it rings, the modem answers, the two modems connect but at
>300 baud.  No login is given and break doesn't work.

I encountered a similar problem at one time.  SCO has developed a fix for this
known as xnx128 that they distribute via anonymous uucp on machine sosco.

It appears to be caused by the RING output by the modem, amoung other things.
I recommend the fix.

This has been discussed in this group in the past.  Posted here for general
use and reference, because so many people seem to have this problems in one
form or another and do not seem to know what to do.  Further info on the SCO
fixes can bo obtained by uucp'ing /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info from SCO's
machine sosco at 408-425-3502 (2400bps) or 408-429-1786 (Telebit).

SCO has the right idea making this service available.  I wish more
manufacturers/vendors would do this, especially via uucp rather than BBS.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (08/21/89)

From article <35@fmsystm.UUCP>, by macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock):
} form or another and do not seem to know what to do.  Further info on the SCO
} fixes can bo obtained by uucp'ing /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info from SCO's
} machine sosco at 408-425-3502 (2400bps) or 408-429-1786 (Telebit).

What is the login and password for anonymous uucp on sosco?

} SCO has the right idea making this service available.  I wish more
} manufacturers/vendors would do this, especially via uucp rather than BBS.

I TOTALLY agree.

aris

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/23/89)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>From article <35@fmsystm.UUCP>, by macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock):
>} form or another and do not seem to know what to do.  Further info on the SCO
>} fixes can bo obtained by uucp'ing /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info from SCO's
>} machine sosco at 408-425-3502 (2400bps) or 408-429-1786 (Telebit).

>What is the login and password for anonymous uucp on sosco?

Here it is.  Please note that this is MY entry, your milage may vary.
Specifically, I am using a Trailblazer+ with a modified dialTBIT.c file,
and I restrict the calling times to the evening (cheaper :-)

sosco Any1700-2399Any0001-0830 ACU 19200 UpP14084291786 ogin:--ogin:--ogin: uusls

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.