[comp.unix.xenix] ESDI controller recommendations

gary@saturn.ucsc.edu (08/19/89)

We have a 386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with two CDC Wren III
(ESDI) disks controlled currently by a WD1007a-WA2.  The controller
is in need of being replaced.  Does anyone have a similar setup
and/or have recommendations for a reliable disk controller?  The
following controllers have been recommended: WD1007-WA2, DTC 60280,
and the Adaptec.  Any suggestions as to the most reliable?  In the
near future we plan on replacing one of the disks with an ~300Mb drive.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/19/89)

gary@saturn.ucsc.edu writes:

>We have a 386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with two CDC Wren III
>(ESDI) disks controlled currently by a WD1007a-WA2.  The controller
>is in need of being replaced.  Does anyone have a similar setup
>and/or have recommendations for a reliable disk controller?  The
>following controllers have been recommended: WD1007-WA2, DTC 60280,
>and the Adaptec.  Any suggestions as to the most reliable?  In the
>near future we plan on replacing one of the disks with an ~300Mb drive.

The adaptec may be a little faster, but I would stick with the WD1007-WA2
because of formatting problems.  Specifically, your disks are currently
working using a WD1007aa-WA2.  If you replace the controller with a
different brand you will most likely have to do a low-level format of
the drive.

Hopefully you have a current backup :-)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (08/20/89)

In article <8771@saturn.ucsc.edu>, gary@saturn.ucsc.edu writes:
> We have a 386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with two CDC Wren III
> (ESDI) disks controlled currently by a WD1007a-WA2.  The controller
> is in need of being replaced.  Does anyone have a similar setup
> and/or have recommendations for a reliable disk controller?  The
> following controllers have been recommended: WD1007-WA2, DTC 60280,
> and the Adaptec.  Any suggestions as to the most reliable?  In the
> near future we plan on replacing one of the disks with an ~300Mb drive.

The Caching disk controllers from Distributed Processing Technology would
be an excellent choice for your application.  With one of these, the
average access time of your drives would approach .5 ms (not 5, but .5)
and with the cache being able to be set up to 4MB, it would turn that
300Mb drive into a real screamer.

Contact:
	Distributed Processing Technology
	(407)830-5522
	~or
	Computer Source in New York...

They also offer an add on board for disk mirroring, and can support
any variation of ESDI, SCSI or MFM drive.  Since the definition of the
drive to the PC can be redefined from the actual physical drive config,
with the controller doing the translation, you can use virtually any drive.

The controller also does the error correction and bad tracking...

Give them a call.

bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@wells tbit+

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (08/25/89)

From article <121@mdi386.UUCP>, by bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre):

> The Caching disk controllers from Distributed Processing Technology would
> be an excellent choice for your application.  With one of these, the
> average access time of your drives would approach .5 ms (not 5, but .5)
> and with the cache being able to be set up to 4MB, it would turn that
> 300Mb drive into a real screamer.
>
> They also offer an add on board for disk mirroring, and can support
> any variation of ESDI, SCSI or MFM drive.  Since the definition of the
> drive to the PC can be redefined from the actual physical drive config,
> with the controller doing the translation, you can use virtually any drive.
>
> The controller also does the error correction and bad tracking...

 Hello All,

I just purchased one of the DPT controllers for use on a 15mbps ESDI drive
here in the office.  I would be very interested to see if anybody else on
the net has been using the DPT contorller, and under what configuration.
Prior to using the DPT product I had the Adaptec 2322B ESDI controller,
but needed a 15mbps (not 10) for the new 780 megabyte harddisk.  I decided
to give an intelegent harddisk controller a shot, and so far it appers to
be working very well.  At present I am using the basic configuration of
512K of cache/buffer on the controller, but would like to hear of others
experiences with the board.  I would also be interested to see if anybody
increased the onboard RAM, and how much improvement did the increased RAM
give you.  I believe the price for the controller is fair, but the cost to
add RAM adds up real quick.  So as the story goes, I wouldn't buy the
additional RAM unless the cost was justified...

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	P. O. Box 171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171