[comp.unix.xenix] Telebit dialout

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/18/89)

I noticed that when we called a system that was supposed to have
a Tbit on it our Tbit connected in slow mode.  So, it was time
to investigate.  It was my understanding that  the SCO dialTBIT
program did what you wanted.  It will, but ...  Here are the
missing parts.

If an answering Tbit sends low speed tones first, the originating
Tbit will settle for it if it is set in "Auto Speed Determination"
(S50=0) mode.  The solution is to set S50=255 for force PEP mode.
Additionally, if it is a uucp connection, set register S111=30.

If you are using the standard AT&T Dialers file you can stick this
stuff in the dialer entry (thanks Rick).  If you are using dialTBIT,
it will do all you want (if you tell it how).  The only problem
is that it isn't documented.  Here is my dissection of the code:

	C - compress mode
	E - echo suppressor compensation
	F - XON/XOFF mode
	K - kermit
	M - MNP mode
	P - PEP
        U - uucp
	X - xmodem or ymodem
  Note: the letters can be upper or lower case

These letters are prepended to the phone number.  Next problem, of
course, is that if you put them in the Systems file they act as
a lookup string for the Dialcodes file.  Thus, the solution is
to put some string in the Systems file and then define it in
the Dialcodes file.  For example, to force uucp protocol and
PEP mode for system "snarf", you would put the following in
the control files:

Systems
   | snarf Any ACU 19200 ZZ5551212 ogin: ...
   | stuff Any ACU 19200 5551213   ogin: ...

Dialcodes
   | ZZ pu

In this case, system "snarf" will get called in PEP mode using
uucp protocol.  System "stuff" is talked to in whatever mode
the answering modem likes.

Hope this saves someone a little investigative work.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (08/28/89)

In article <145@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> code letters that the dialTBIT code understands:
>	C - compress mode
>	E - echo suppressor compensation
>	F - XON/XOFF mode
>	K - kermit
>	M - MNP mode
>	P - PEP
>       U - uucp
>	X - xmodem or ymodem
>  Note: the letters can be upper or lower case
>
>These letters are prepended to the phone number.
                   ^^^^^^^^^
		   by you, not by me.

If you give the number in Systems as 5551212UC, the Dialcodes file
doesn't get read.

I like to use the Dialcodes file anyways, so I have lines like

		snarf SaSu,Wk2300-0730 ACU 19200 snarf .....

and I keep up with number changes in the Dialcodes file, where I also
append the TrailBlazer codes.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com