[comp.unix.xenix] Colour terminal reccomendations sought

rocchi@ziebmef.mef.org (Paul Rocchi) (08/21/89)

Persuant to my previous request re: wyse 350 termcaps, we have determined that
the problem we are having is actually in the hardware.  Could anybody out there
reccommend a Colour terminal for use with SCO xenix that does not possess the
"magic cookie glitch".   Thanks in advance.

Paul Rocchi
RKT Computer Services Limited
430 South Service Rd, Unit 25
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
L7L 1Y6

--
Paul Rocchi			{uunet!mentor!lsuc,utgpu}!ncrcan!ziebmef!rocchi

bill@lxn.eds.com (Bill Doviak) (08/24/89)

In article <1989Aug21.095544.22786@ziebmef.mef.org> rocchi@ziebmef.mef.org (Paul Rocchi) writes:
>Persuant to my previous request re: wyse 350 termcaps, we have determined that
>the problem we are having is actually in the hardware.  Could anybody out there
>reccommend a Colour terminal for use with SCO xenix that does not possess the
>"magic cookie glitch".   Thanks in advance.
>
>Paul Rocchi			{uunet!mentor!lsuc,utgpu}!ncrcan!ziebmef!rocchi

I have been looking for some time and have not come up with ANYTHING! The
Wyse 350 magic cookies make windowing w/color very difficult (Just try to
scroll a window that has color attributes). Also, the Wyse 350 has not been
the most reliable terminal I've used.

--
Bill Doviak                         | US MAIL: Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
UUCP: vu-vlsi!lxn!bill              |          Lanark Building

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (08/25/89)

In article <431@lxn.eds.com> bill@lxn.UUCP (Bill Doviak) writes:

>I have been looking for some time and have not come up with ANYTHING! The
>Wyse 350 magic cookies make windowing w/color very difficult (Just try to
>scroll a window that has color attributes). Also, the Wyse 350 has not been
>the most reliable terminal I've used.

We are in the process of attempting (yet again, seems to be an
annual effort) to locate color terminals.

To date the best we have found is to use a terminal emulator
on a IBM-PC color system.  The best that we've found to date
the Century Software's TERM package - it includes an emulation
of the SCO console driver.

The neatest thing about this solution is that you can tune
the cost of the 'terminal' to the user's pocketbook: CGA for
the 'cheapies' and EGA for the ones that don't want to go
blind...
--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109

  The use of a PC is a good idea. If you are running locally there is an optical
fiber card which hangs four PC's off a UNIX box (AT bus). This is a lot
nicer to use in terms of performance, and since it's smart it doesn't load
the CPU any more than a serial card would.
that the world is flat!" - anon

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (08/29/89)

In article <431@lxn.eds.com> bill@lxn.UUCP (Bill Doviak) writes:
>In article <1989Aug21.095544.22786@ziebmef.mef.org> rocchi@ziebmef.mef.org (Paul Rocchi) writes:
>>Persuant to my previous request re: wyse 350 termcaps, we have determined that
>>the problem we are having is actually in the hardware.  Could anybody out there
>>reccommend a Colour terminal for use with SCO xenix that does not possess the
>>"magic cookie glitch".   Thanks in advance.
>I have been looking for some time and have not come up with ANYTHING! The

We have experienced the same problem.  We just got back from SCO Forum 89 and
think we have found the solution.  It is the Wyse 370 terminal.  Much
nicer to configure (and can be changed in the setup).  Screen is excellent,
does not scroll and other items that the 350 does.  And it will run with
a Wy60 termcap.  Does not need special entries, since the setup in the
terminal is so complete.  We got a chance to actually put it on an
IBC machine and try it for about an hour.  And I was very pleased.
Have not had a chance to try it under WordPerfect yet, but I have
an eval unit coming to complete the test.  Will keep the net informed
of my results, but so far, it is thumbs up!

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..