[comp.unix.xenix] UUCP help, SCO 2.3 HDB dialin/dialout no good

ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman Programmer) (08/18/89)

I am trying to make a site BOTH dial in AND dial out. If the modem line
is disabled then I can make calls. If the modem line is enabled I can ONLY
RECEIVE calls. I thought that I could make this work both ways.

I have entries in /usr/lib/uucp/Device for the dialout line :
ACU Any 1200-2400 - /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA12
and I have enabled the line. I have RTFM until I am starting to memorize it.
I have BOTH the Nutshell handbooks. I still cannot get this to work.

HELP!!!!
Ed Ackerman                               | It is impossible to make anything
bdgltd!ela@dsi.com or ...!dsinc!bdgltd!ela|  foolproof beacause fools are
#include <StdDisclaimer>                  |           SO ingenious!

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/28/89)

ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman  Programmer) writes:

}I am trying to make a site BOTH dial in AND dial out. If the modem line
}is disabled then I can make calls. If the modem line is enabled I can ONLY
}RECEIVE calls. I thought that I could make this work both ways.

}I have entries in /usr/lib/uucp/Device for the dialout line :
}ACU Any 1200-2400 - /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA12
}and I have enabled the line. I have RTFM until I am starting to memorize it.
}I have BOTH the Nutshell handbooks. I still cannot get this to work.

Exactly what happens when the port is enabled and you try to dial out?
Also, how are you trying to dial out (with what program).  It is possible
that a communications program is not setting up the lock files properly.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

clay@uci.UUCP (News Administrator) (08/28/89)

I appreciate the RTFM anxiety!

My dial-in/out started working when I set up my Hayes-compatible modem
just the way the manual said to -- I thought I had it right, and could
dial out just ONCE , and then could not receive anymore.  I believe the
critical parameter was having the modem reset to defaults on losing DTR.
Getty then runs uuchat to re-set (again?) the modem on re-initialization.

I'll email you my parameters if that would help.

Reply to clay@uci!haapi over the uucp net.

Good luck!
--
Clayton Haapala                ...!mmm!dicome!uci!clay
Unified Communications Inc.

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) (08/29/89)

In article <1123@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>ela@bdgltd.UUCP (Ed Ackerman  Programmer) writes:
>
>}I am trying to make a site BOTH dial in AND dial out. ...does not work
>
>Exactly what happens when the port is enabled and you try to dial out?

I have an almost identical problem. And again the texts are of no
help.

In addition, when I set up my 2.3 Xenix to run to my AT&T 3B1 both
with HDB uucp, they eventually start shooting logins at each other and
performance is degraded and communications is shot.

Clearly there is a little secret here that I, and apparently others
are missing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/30/89)

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) writes:

>In article <1123@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>In addition, when I set up my 2.3 Xenix to run to my AT&T 3B1 both
>with HDB uucp, they eventually start shooting logins at each other and
>performance is degraded and communications is shot.

On the 3B1 you will have to use uugetty.  uugetty does not put out a
prompt until it receives a character.

On Xenix you have a small problem.  Xenix does not use uugetty.  You
could try writing a small program that will replace getty, and wait until
it sees something on the port, then call the real getty.  Inelegant, but
it should work.

JB