[comp.unix.xenix] sitename > 7 chars.

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (08/27/89)

In article <106@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
>I believe I may have discovered a bug in SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT's uucp.
>I have a connection whose system name is eight characters in length,
>however, uucp shortens the system name to seven characters, ie. any mail
>or files sent to "trashbin" are qued up as "trashbi".
>At any rate, this is causing consistent core dumps and communication
>failure (at least I am attributing them to this problem at this time).
>Has anyone else experianced this problem and is their a fix, patch or
>short term work around?

I haven't experienced core dumps, but this is indeed a horror. If the
sitename being shortened is your own, then putting MYNAME=mylongname into
the Permissions file will work. I have seen a message from SCO that said
that you could use the same trick to fix the problem with a remote
sitename, but that doesn't make any sense at all.

I went through my paths file and found more than a trivial number of sites
which had the same first seven letters.
eklektic
eklektik
microso
microsoft
Apparently we all need to complain - loudly - to SCO....
--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) (08/29/89)

In article <10548@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>In article <106@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
>>I believe I may have discovered a bug in SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT's uucp.
>>I have a connection whose system name is eight characters in length,
>>however, uucp shortens the system name to seven characters, ie. any mail
>>or files sent to "trashbin" are qued up as "trashbi".
>
>I haven't experienced core dumps, but this is indeed a horror. If the
>sitename being shortened is your own, then putting MYNAME=mylongname into
>the Permissions file will work.

It is not my system name that is being shortened, but the name of a
system connected to me.  Have not tried setting the site name to one
greater than 7 characters, however, it does "distress" me that I am not
able to define the site name as anything less than 6 characters, ie.
ubbs or bios are totally out as far as I know.

The MYNAME="alias" is to my knowledge useful only if you want to "lie"
about your actual system name, or to talk to yourself for the purposes of
debugging, eg.  setting up a telebit or such.

>I went through my paths file and found more than a trivial number of sites
>which had the same first seven letters.
>eklektic
>eklektik
>microso
>microsoft
>Apparently we all need to complain - loudly - to SCO....

I do want to emphasize that I became aware of the problem when I upgraded
to 2.3.2 from 2.3.1, I was not present, to the best of my knowledge, in
the former.

Since I originally posted the article I have been advised that the core
dumps are due to a bug uusched, and may be "cured" by re-installing the
2.3.1 uusched.

Also, the problem with shortening the system name seems only to be a real
problem when the site in question is being polled (such as it is in this
case).

I need to find the time to do some more experimenting in order to
determine all of the facts, as it is now, it is merely a report of a
noted observation.

Noel

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/30/89)

In article <113@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:

>Since I originally posted the article I have been advised that the core
>dumps are due to a bug uusched, and may be "cured" by re-installing the
>2.3.1 uusched.

Yes.  I had the same core-dump problem.  I just re-installed the
2.3.1 uusched and it went away.  Something happened when SCO redid it
for the 386.  The 2.3.1 executable is an 8086 binary while the 2.3.2 is
an 80386 binary.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.