[comp.unix.xenix] Big drives for SCO XENIX 386 machine...

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (08/31/89)

I have an AST Premium/386 20mHz machine running SCO XENIX 386 v2.3.2.
We've got the original factory installed 90MB CDC drive in there,
and we've reached the time when we need to add a second drive.  We want
to add the biggest fastest thing we can -- 383MB, or 676MB or something
like that--- as long as it's not too expensive!

Right now I see great deals in the comp mags for Miniscrive M9380E 16ms
ESDI drives... anyone using one of these?  We'd really like to get a
CDC WREN V (502MB in a Half-Height bay!) but now I hear they won't ship
til December or so.  We can't wait that long.

Anyone have any recommendations for a) 300-600MB ESDI drives running
under XENIX and b) a good mail-order price for the drive?

Brian L. Dear
Coconut Computing, Inc.
La Jolla, CA

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (08/31/89)

That should have read CDC WREN VI, sold under CDC's Imprimis line...

-- brian

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (08/31/89)

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) writes:

>Right now I see great deals in the comp mags for Miniscrive M9380E 16ms
>ESDI drives... anyone using one of these?  We'd really like to get a

Don't forget that you have to get an ESDI controller for this drive.
Also, ignoring the typo :-)  I heard that Miniscribe is in Chapter 11.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.