[comp.unix.xenix] Can an Inboard/PC Run XENIX?

davecarr@tove.umd.edu (David Carr) (09/01/89)

 In the latest "Byte", David Fiedler writes in the article, "UNIX on Personal
Computers: Why and How", "...Basic Xenix takes up eight floppy disks and will
install on any normal IBM-compatible hardware, including Intel Inboards."
Intel's 800 number says that there is no UNIX for the Inboard/PC.

Does anyone in netland know who is right?  Can you run XENIX on a PC with an
Inboard/PC?  If so, what hardware is required?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Carr (davecarr@tove.umd.edu)

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (09/04/89)

In article <19355@mimsy.UUCP>, davecarr@tove.umd.edu (David Carr) writes:
> Does anyone in netland know who is right?  Can you run XENIX on a PC with an
> Inboard/PC?  If so, what hardware is required?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Dave Carr (davecarr@tove.umd.edu)

Yes, Xenix/386 will work with an Intel InBoard. I have not personnaly
tried it, but in the Xenix Release Notes, they do talk about it. You
basically need a 286 AT platform and a Intel Inboard 386 card. I would
recomend that you have atleast 2 meg of ram. 1 meg will work, but you
will start swapping as soon as you run a major program.

--kory

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com