[comp.unix.xenix] SCO UNIX owners have fewer choices?

brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) (08/31/89)

Our company is a manufacturer and designer of various products for use
with 386 based computers running various forms of UNIX.

Our products are known to work on most flavors of UNIX, however, we
have not yet tested them with SCO's UNIX product.

This is mainly because after 8 days of calling and leaving messages
no one at SCO has felt it worth their time to return our calls.

Perhaps SCO doesn't feel our products are worth the effort to support or
perhaps they are protecting SCO owners from products which they don't
feel meet their standards.

In either case, SCO couldn't possibly know what our products are without
speaking to us.  Most of our designs are sold by other companies, who
don't usually mention that we designed them.  Samsung, for example.

We've been told by the receptionist at SCO that the developers relations
person at SCO is Tom Wallace.  Does anyone have another name we might
try to contact at SCO?

We have found that the way a company treats its resellers and developers
is a pretty accurate gauge of how they treat their end users.

What this all boils down to is that SCO UNIX owners simply have a somewhat
more limited selection of well supported add-on products to choose from
than do owners of UNIXs from other vendors.

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian@apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/31/89)

In article <1677@apt.UUCP>, brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
> Our company is a manufacturer and designer of various products for use
> with 386 based computers running various forms of UNIX.
>
> Our products are known to work on most flavors of UNIX, however, we
> have not yet tested them with SCO's UNIX product.
>
> This is mainly because after 8 days of calling and leaving messages
> no one at SCO has felt it worth their time to return our calls.

Brian, SCO Unix is currently not even in the distribution channels
according to the two distibutors that I have checked with - and
their developers package will not be shipping for a couple of months.
I too have been waiting for returned calls from SCO about their Unix
product from somone of a technical background.

--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (08/31/89)

    I,ve had SCO Unix 3.2 online for three weeks now.

   It appears to be a solid product so far.
 The only problem I,ve seen deals with the kernal seeing the mouse.
 The fix ,(Others haveing this problem take note), until they get it
 repaired, is as follows:
(1) Run your cmos setup utility before booting Unix, and exit. (no changes
    needed)
(2) Next boot Unix and the mouse will be recognized.

  I also have Vpix with update A, which seems to work fine with one minor
problem, Dos partion writes or changes are not seen in the current vpix
session if done from another multiscreen login.   You must exit vpix to
get the vpix shell to see any outside the current vpix session writes to Dos.

  It appears Vpix keeps the dos directory tables in memory rather than re-read-
-ing it from disk as it should.

*****		Standard Disclaimer             *****

Rick Furniss

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (09/04/89)

In article <96@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <1677@apt.UUCP>, brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
>> have not yet tested them with SCO's UNIX product.
>> This is mainly because after 8 days of calling and leaving messages
>> no one at SCO has felt it worth their time to return our calls.
>
>Brian, SCO Unix is currently not even in the distribution channels

To be fair, you ought to consider that SCO just put on a gala
event for all Developers and Resellers in Santa Cruz CA.  They have spent
the last several weeks entertaining.  That probably explains the
lack of phone calls.  Most of their personnel were involved in the
SCO Forum 89.  You should have been there.  You would have seen
SCO Unix 3.2 and heard what was going on, and been involved.  That
was the purpose of the Forum.  There were many heavy weights there
from many different companies, including most of the major computer
companies, HP, ACER, Wyse, IBC, Computone, DigiBoard, Arnet, and
many many others, too numerous to mention.
Was a week well spent being out there.
Just trying to shed some light on your comments.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..