[comp.unix.xenix] Wyse 60/VPIX Problem

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) (09/01/89)

I am experiancing a problem with running VPIX (Update A) from a remote
terminal that I did not have under the previous release.

Everything seems to work nicely on the console, however, when attempting
to run the same program from a remote console attached to either the
standard serial port or the Digiboard Com/8i I experiance a problem that
manifests itself as a failure to update and/or clear the screen.  The
program (Quicken version 2) is not configured for graphics etc.

If I enter a command nothing appears to happen, but if I call up the vpix
menu and then escape the screen is updated.

Has anyone experinaced this problem?   Fixes, suggestions etc. are most
welcomed.

BTW, the OS is SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT (which after the installation of the
VPIX Update A is now 2.3.3 GT).

Thanks!
Noel

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/01/89)

In article <115@ubbs-nh.MV.COM>, noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
> Everything seems to work nicely on the console, however, when attempting
> to run the same program from a remote console attached to either the
> standard serial port or the Digiboard Com/8i I experiance a problem that
> manifests itself as a failure to update and/or clear the screen.  The
> program (Quicken version 2) is not configured for graphics etc.
>
> If I enter a command nothing appears to happen, but if I call up the vpix
> menu and then escape the screen is updated.

Hi Noel.  I am running VP/ix 1.01.01 from Interactive under 386/ix
on both the primary console and remote serial terminals - and it runs
just dandy so far - and I haven't experienced the problems you have
mentioned.

I did however have a problem running the Computone board with UUCP
under 386/ix - come to find out that both the Computone and the Digiboard
drivers do not correctly support modem control which creates problems
when running uucp.   Computone still hasn't corrected the problem - so
the board is going back - and Digiboard's engineers are aware of the
problem in the driver - and an update will be released within two weeks.

--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/02/89)

In article <115@ubbs-nh.MV.COM>, noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
> I am experiancing a problem with running VPIX (Update A) from a remote
> terminal that I did not have under the previous release.
>
> Everything seems to work nicely on the console, however, when attempting
> to run the same program from a remote console attached to either the
> standard serial port or the Digiboard Com/8i I experiance a problem that
> manifests itself as a failure to update and/or clear the screen.  The
> program (Quicken version 2) is not configured for graphics etc.
>
> If I enter a command nothing appears to happen, but if I call up the vpix
> menu and then escape the screen is updated.

Hi,

I have experienced the very same pheonomina you are describing.  I noticed
it with the small modem PD vi clone that come across comp.binaries.ibm.pc
a while back.  In the past, it has worked like a charm.  But now, when I
go into it (also same effect with QEDIT), the cursor just sits at the top
and goes NOWHERE!  Then something causes it to update the screen (a timer
alarm possibly?) and the cursor jolts across the screen to the possition
it should have been at according to the keystrokes I have typed in between.
Believe me, this WILL NOT DO!!!  I am wondering what other applications
will be affected by this.  It behaves like the screen is locked up.  And
what is really interesting is that while the cursos is stuck, I can hit the
':' to go into the sub-command mode and it pops up almost immediately.
So the problem has to do with when the editor is in its "full screen" mode,
ie, when the cursor tracks anywhere across the screen using the arrow
keys.  Again, this very same behavior with QEDIT.  It does not happen with
XTPRO's builtin editor.  I might add that my serial terminal is also
a Wyse 60, and I am running VP/ix on both a standard serial port and a
Wyse 995 8 port smart board.

It has to be something with respect to a particular mode that both the
vi and QEDIT enter at the points they get stuck.  I wonder how after so
many long months of delays and testing, that SCO would let a bug like
this out?!!?!?!?!  >:^()  Well, all I know is that it could cause some
MAJOR problems, say, if an important application fouls up.

Anyway, you are not alone.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) (09/04/89)

In article <506@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US> root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>In article <115@ubbs-nh.MV.COM>, noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
>> I am experiancing a problem with running VPIX (Update A) from a remote
>> terminal that I did not have under the previous release.
>
>It has to be something with respect to a particular mode that both the
>vi and QEDIT enter at the points they get stuck.  I wonder how after so
>many long months of delays and testing, that SCO would let a bug like
>this out?!!?!?!?!  >:^()  Well, all I know is that it could cause some
>MAJOR problems, say, if an important application fouls up.

It's wonderful to know that I am not alone!

I don't run alot of DOS programs under VP/ix, mainly it's Quicken which I
use extensively and frequently.  What with the terminals scattered around
the house and the shape of my current financial status it's real handy to
run over to the terminal in the living room for example to check the
current balance (Nope honey, you just can't afford a new jag today  B-)).

And I agree 100% with your last comment, how could they have fouled up
after all of this time!

Noel