[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix C error message

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (08/26/89)

I am compiling a program with a Xenix 286/V 2.2 development
system and getting the error: Error Accessing Library.  the manual
says that I need to make sure the file exists, I checked it , itdoes
and to make sure I have theproper permissions, I went in and gavve
all permissions to the files.  I still get the error.  Just after this
I get a Cannot open run file. error.  I have 7.5 meg free space on the
disk and all permissions to the directory to which I am creating the
file.  Any help would be appreciated.

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (08/28/89)

In article <1003@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>I am compiling a program with a Xenix 286/V 2.2 development
>system and getting the error: Error Accessing Library.  the manual
>says that I need to make sure the file exists, I checked it , itdoes
>and to make sure I have theproper permissions, I went in and gavve
>all permissions to the files.  I still get the error.
>Any help would be appreciated.

You don't say which library the loader was trying to access, a standard
system one or a new one you created....oh well, it doesn't really matter,
I can think of only 2 possibilities for getting this kind of message:

1) you have either modifed an existent library, or created a new one, and
in either case not run ranlib on the library to reinitialize it. Look at
the man page for ranlib on this matter.

2) you are trying to use a development system that was not properly
installed...what this means is that one or more library may not have been
branded. They don't work very well if they're not :-}. If this is the
problem one might ask how you installed this software and WHY it wasn't
done properly???

Good Luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

tanner@cdis-1.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (08/30/89)

In article <6358@turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
) ... development system ... not properly installed...what this means
) is that one or more library may not have been branded. ... might ask
) how you installed this software and WHY it wasn't done properly???
Well, to the second question first: if something gets clobbered, it
is common to restore it from the distribution media.  "Tar xvfkb ..."
and your file is back.

The pernicious practice of "branding" the software is not helpful
here.  It also doesn't stop the free flow of illicit copies; anyone
who "borrows" the disks is likely to borrow the sheet on which the
silly serial number and "activation key" are stored.  At the same
time, it causes problems for the legitimate user, who must keep
track of the silly numbers/activation strings, and be sure that he
doesn't directly restore anything which gets clobbered.
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner
or...  {allegra attctc gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/05/89)

In article <7585@cdis-1.uucp> tanner@cdis-1.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>In article <6358@turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>) ... development system ... not properly installed...what this means
>) is that one or more library may not have been branded.

>The pernicious practice of "branding" the software is not helpful
>here.  It also doesn't stop the free flow of illicit copies; anyone
>who "borrows" the disks is likely to borrow the sheet on which the
>silly serial number and "activation key" are stored.

I couldn't agree more, my point on mentioning the library perhaps not
being branded was in no way meant as advocating the practice, it was
just one possibility for the source of the error message. One of the
most refreshing features of 386/ix which I now run on turnkey is the
complete lack of this silly protection scheme. Perhaps SCO will see
the light one of these days and remove it, since you are quite right
that it is hardly an impediment to boot-leggers. The biggest problem
those running illegitimate code have is usually documentation, they
can't RTFM cause they don't have one :-}!!

BTW, Don sent me some mail indicating that his problem was not having
used ranlib and not the branding anyway.

Cheers!