[comp.unix.xenix] Trouble installing 2nd hard disk

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (09/02/89)

We just installed a CDC WREN V ESDI hard disk in our AST Premium/386
20mHz machine that's running SCO XENIX 386 v.2.2.3.

The 386 machine came stocked with a 89MB CDC drive which we're still using
as the boot drive (hd00) and we want the new drive to be hd10....

But of course, XENIX won't accept this new drive.

When we run /etc/mkdev hd, we get the following message:

  error on fixed disk (minor 64), block=0 cmd=00000020 status=00005910
  Sector = 1, Cylinder/head = 0/0
  cannot open /dev/rhd10

*sigh*!!

Anyone know what's wrong?  When we set up the new 2nd drive as a DOS drive,
using AST's setup utilities, everything seems to be fine; it formats as a DOS
disk etc.  So the hardware seems to work ok.  But XENIX doesn't seem to want
to cooperate.

OOne interesting thing is that the first couple times we tried the mkdev
program, we found that the "dparam" part of the routine showed an empty
list of the current disk parameters.  Now, the XENIX manual says in most
instances you just type 'q' and quit out of the dparam routine and go on
to the next step of mkdev.  Well, we're not sure if the WREN V drive is
considered by XENIX to be "non-standard."  Anyone know?

The next step in mkdev is the "fdisk" program, and that just bombs with
the error message as shown above, and mkdev quits.

Any suggestions/solutions would be welcome and appreciated!  We'd sure
like to have this drive working before next week!

--- brian l. dear
    coconut computing, inc.
    la jolla, ca.
    home of the "COCONET" on-line information service

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training) (09/07/89)

In article <13458@well.UUCP> whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) writes:

>We just installed a CDC WREN V ESDI hard disk in our AST Premium/386
---deleted---
>But of course, XENIX won't accept this new drive.
>
>When we run /etc/mkdev hd, we get the following message:
---deleted error message---
>Anyone know what's wrong?  When we set up the new 2nd drive as a DOS drive,
---more deleted on dparam and drive under DOS---
>to the next step of mkdev.  Well, we're not sure if the WREN V drive is
>considered by XENIX to be "non-standard."  Anyone know?

non-standard is with respect to DOS, not XENIX.  So, is this drive not
in the BIOS (or whatever) under DOS?  dparam reads the DOS definitions
if it can.
---and more gone---
>Any suggestions/solutions would be welcome and appreciated!  We'd sure
>like to have this drive working before next week!

Determine the values for the disk that the dparam command needs and
enter them at the start of the installation.  This "should" work. :-)

I'd be interested in knowing the results, if you would e-mail me.
thanks

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com