[comp.unix.xenix] Comms Program For Xenix

vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) (08/25/89)

	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
	have the following functions.

	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.

	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.

	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
	please leave a comment in this news area.

	PLEASE DO NOT POST SOURCES

	Regards, Mark Gregson

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/28/89)

In article <7765@charlie.OZ> vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
>	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
>	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
>	have the following functions.
>	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
>	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
>	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.

Kermit, using rz/sz as a sub-shell.  Works just dandy! e.g.
 ^\C     # Kermit command escape
Kermit>! rz >/dev/tty1a </dev/tty1a

N.B. Just redirect standard output and input of the rz or sz to your
modem port.  Make sure you have a space after the "!".  It's also
possible to write a wrapper if you use the same port for your modem
all the time, but use $@ for the other flags you might use.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) (08/28/89)

In article <7765@charlie.OZ> vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
:
:	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
:	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
:	have the following functions.
:
:	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
:	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
:
:	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.
:
:	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
:	please leave a comment in this news area.

The only comms program for Xenix with full ZMODEM is Professional-YAM.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

  You can use pcomm or kermit with the "run" program to give access to
{x,y,z}modem protocols.

that the world is flat!" - anon

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (08/29/89)

In article <825@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) writes:
> In article <7765@charlie.OZ> vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
> :	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
> :	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
> :	have the following functions.
> :	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
> :	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
> :	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.
> :	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
> :	please leave a comment in this news area.
>
> The only comms program for Xenix with full ZMODEM is Professional-YAM.
>
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
> Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
> 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
> TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

TERM from Century Software does it too.  And more important for our uses,
it works the same on PC-DOS, UNIX, XENIX, CTOS, VMS and SUNOS (aux comming)
and McIntosh

The interface is consistent between all of the environments... A very
complete communications system.  I use it every day in support of customers
systems.

* Term offers full emulation of VT102, VT52, VT220, Televideo 912/925, Wyse 50
  ANSI 3.64 (plus some others).

* Both Batch and Interactive file transfers using xmodem, ymodem, zmodem,
  kermit and terms own termCRC.

* Built it dialing routines for Hayes, Racal-Vadic, Smartcat, Tandy, AT&T 4024,
  Microcom SX, and ability to write your own for other modems.

* UUCP-compatible lock files, and handles bi-directional (dialin/dialout)
  communication lines without conflict with UNIX login

* Multiple Modem and/or phone support to provide alternate paths

* Acess to remote modem servers over Ethernet

* An extensive (and extensible) script language that gives ability to create
  true distributed applications.  They can run any system command on either
  end of the communications link.

* Remapable control keys if they conflict with other applications.

from:
Century Software
5284 South 320 West, Suite C294
Salt Lake City, Utah 84107

(not affiliated, just a user)
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (09/02/89)

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.  TERM is an excellent package.

Century Software's product is great, its support is excellent too.  In fact,
I do not believe that any company has better support.

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (09/03/89)

I have used Professional YAM for years and have found the package able
to handle ANY(and I DO MEAN ANY) comm situation needed in the async
arena...besides the product evolved from way back in c/pm days...
I cant as for TERM but I do have most of the other so-called advanced
comm packages and none of them com close as to the granularity of
control that PRO-YAM offers and that a data-com test engineer needs!!!
The product really is of such extreme quality that it can regularly be used
as a vehicle for writing software QA programs(the mode I regularly use
it in as a consultant). It also has a number of UNIQUE security features..
that can be used within its scripts to really tailor it to a number of
REAL-WORLD environments...I will admit it is not for everyone...if you
havent learned to RTFM then you will have wasted your money....
                    cheers
                    kelly(A Highly Satisfied User)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) (09/03/89)

Since I would undoubtedly be flamed for responding to this advertisement
with a similar one of my own, I will simply point out that by "full ZMODEM"
I include ZMODEM compression and intelligent Crash Recovery with remote
file compare.  This functionality is only provided by Copyrighted code which
must be licensed, except for PD programs distributed in source code or
programs that are used to transfer files with Omen Technology Products.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/03/89)

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) writes:

>I have used Professional YAM for years and have found the package able
>to handle ANY(and I DO MEAN ANY) comm situation needed in the async

>REAL-WORLD environments...I will admit it is not for everyone...if you
>havent learned to RTFM then you will have wasted your money....

I have used both on both MS-DOS and Xenix.  My opinion of TERM under
both MS-DOS and Xenix is that it has the best terminal emulation modes
I have ever seen.  This includes Pro-Yam.  Pro-Yam is very good in most
areas.  However, the manual for Pro-Yam is among the most confusing I
have ever come across.  Also, the terminal emulation modes leave a
little to be desired.  The emulation is not perfect, and on Unix it
doesn't even try to emulate a terminal.  You just use the one you have.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (09/07/89)

	TERM may do this, but try getting any sales literature or
a price quote.  I have been waiting for months.  (There sales force
also rarely returns phone calls.)

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (09/07/89)

In article <7765@charlie.OZ> vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
>	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
>	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
>	have the following functions.
>	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
>	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
>	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.
>	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
>	please leave a comment in this news area.

Once upon a time, Eric Coe wrote XCOMM; Larry Gensch wrote XCOMM 2.0; Fred Buck
enhanced it to XCMALT. Now I've uploaded XCMALT Version 2.0 to LIBrary 5 of
the TANGENT Forum of Compuserve.
I fixed loose ends, condensed the documentation, tightened the code. Put/take
now function, and allow an optional second filename for the target file. The
dialing directory adjusts to the length of your screen. Startup and user
scripts and the phonelist are sought in your current directory, home directory,
or a default library directory. Tty output is now unbuffered. Getty/LCK-file
support allow dialing out on an enabled line. The baud rate choices now extend
from 300 to 38400. More inverse video for error messages.
As before, you can:
	send a modem BREAK
	set 7-bit masking or 8-bit masking
	up/download using
		ZMODEM
		XMODEM/YMODEM (if you have rx/sz)
		CompuServe Quick-B Protocol
		plain old ASCII
	name your capture file
	toggle your capture file on or off
	upload from a file on disk
	dial from a directory of numbers,
		optionally using a script which can, for example, log you on
		to CIS, get you into a Forum, start reading messages or upload