[comp.unix.xenix] Disk IO under SCO

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (09/06/89)

I'm not certain that I understand all of the rationale for the way in which
SCO handles disk IO.  For example, they avoid DMA in favor of program control.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks.

DF

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/07/89)

Most disk controllers for the AT bus do not have provisions for DMA
usage.  That is they don't even have the REQ/ACK or channel support
for the AT DMA.  Even if the controller would support it, the AT DMA
is awfully slow when compared to PIO.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (09/07/89)

In article <1049@lakesys.UUCP> davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>I'm not certain that I understand all of the rationale for the way in which
>SCO handles disk IO.  For example, they avoid DMA in favor of program control.

SCO avoids DMA because in the PC/AT architecture (and therefore the
ensuing 386 clones built out of it) DMA is SLOW and a processor string
instruction with a repeat prefix will improve performance tremendously
over what the DMA controller will get you.
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com
"God is good, God is great, God's a big inverterbrate." - Boiled In Lead