[comp.unix.xenix] Modem question under Xenix 2.3.2

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (09/06/89)

I have three modems all running as in/out modems on this Xenix 2.3.2 (Everex
Step 25 Mhz 386) box.

The first two are TB2000's autobaud cycling at 19200 - 2400 - 1200.

The third is a Hayes Smatrmodem 2400 cycling at 2400 - 1200.

The problem is with the Hayes 2400 modem. A 1200 baud modem can not connect
to this modem (actually, it connects and gets a continuous stream of garbage).

The Devices entry is:

ACU ttyA11 - 2400 hayes2400
ACU ttyA11 - 1200 hayes2400

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is my 2400 baud modem hosed or is it the
way I have it configured?

Thanks.

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/06/89)

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:

>I have three modems all running as in/out modems on this Xenix 2.3.2 (Everex
>Step 25 Mhz 386) box.

>The problem is with the Hayes 2400 modem. A 1200 baud modem can not connect
>to this modem (actually, it connects and gets a continuous stream of garbage).

>The Devices entry is:

>ACU ttyA11 - 2400 hayes2400
>ACU ttyA11 - 1200 hayes2400

One of your errors in in the Devices file.  Instead of the two lines
for the same serial line, replace it with the following line:

>ACU ttyA11 - 1200-2400 hayes2400

Then check the /etc/ttys file.  Check the second character of the entry
for the port.  Assuming you haven't changed the /etc/gettydefs file, the
character should be either '2' or '3'.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/07/89)

>I have three modems all running as in/out modems on this Xenix 2.3.2 (Everex
>Step 25 Mhz 386) box.
>
>The first two are TB2000's autobaud cycling at 19200 - 2400 - 1200.
>
>The third is a Hayes Smatrmodem 2400 cycling at 2400 - 1200.
>
>The problem is with the Hayes 2400 modem. A 1200 baud modem can not connect
>to this modem (actually, it connects and gets a continuous stream of garbage).
>
>The Devices entry is:
>
>ACU ttyA11 - 2400 hayes2400
>ACU ttyA11 - 1200 hayes2400
>
>Has anyone seen this problem before? Is my 2400 baud modem hosed or is it the
>way I have it configured?

To get autobauding to work, you should alter your line to read:

ACU ttyA11 - 1200-2400 hayes2400

and delete the other entry.

I had the same trouble, until I did this.  I think it is documented somewhere
in Chapter 11 of the Systems Administrator's guide.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/08/89)

In article <1142@ispi.UUCP>, jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>
> >I have three modems all running as in/out modems on this Xenix 2.3.2 (Everex
> >Step 25 Mhz 386) box.

Jonathan - will SCO Xenix support more than 2 devices in the Devices
file?  I can't seem to get my PEP to dial outbound.