[comp.unix.xenix] SCO 2.3.1 file system problems

milan@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Milan Strnad) (09/11/89)

I'm running SCO's 2.3.1 on a Compaq 386/25 with a 300 Meg hard disk.
The disk is split into 2 partitions.  The root partition recently got
rather full, so when I killed the user process responsible for this,
I noticed that "du" and "df" gave me different figures. The difference
is about 20 Meg.  The system currently thinks the root file system has
20 more Meg in use than there actually is.  Doing a "fsck" on the
root file system causes "fsck" to exit after the first pass. Is this
a normal thing for "fsck" to do?

milan@gpu.utoronto.edu

In article <1989Sep10.134202.7168@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> milan@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Milan Strnad) writes:

>I'm running SCO's 2.3.1 on a Compaq 386/25 with a 300 Meg hard disk.
>The disk is split into 2 partitions.  The root partition recently got
>rather full, so when I killed the user process responsible for this,
>I noticed that "du" and "df" gave me different figures. The difference
>is about 20 Meg.  The system currently thinks the root file system has
>20 more Meg in use than there actually is.  Doing a "fsck" on the
>root file system causes "fsck" to exit after the first pass. Is this
>a normal thing for "fsck" to do?

No, it's not.

There is an SLS fix for the "fsck" problem which is obtainable from your SCO
reseller or direct from SCO.  Get it before you have real trouble (as in
your root filesystem gets trashed and you can't reboot!)

As a short-term workaround I have found that the fsck on 2.2.3 can clean the
filesystem properly.  Whether this will work for all cases I am not sure,
but it worked for me the one time I got in trouble before getting the fix.

As for how you got in this situation in the first place I am not sure.  I
haven't noticed any troubles like this.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]