[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix Compiler

glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz (G. Geers [ext 3241]) (09/11/89)

In article <1024@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP writes: "... getting a
'Compiler Error (Internal) : infinite spill'. ..."

I have had this error message and like you I could not find any documentation.
However, have a look on the line indicated and you will probably find soemthing
like:
		a = foo[a++];

or perhaps the assignment of a struct to an array of structs using an element
of the struct as the array index, e.g.

typedef fred struct {
			int a;
			char *p;
			};

			fred *f;
			char ad[20];

			f->p = ad[f->a++];

This can be rectified by judicious use of temporary variables. Note that this
doesn't happen in small model where sizeof(int *) = sizeof(int). I have *never*
seen it on our 386.
The real problem is when this happens in the control variable of a for loop -
it can be a real pain.

I wonder if you could send me the code fragment or tell me what program you
are playing with (if its pd I might have it and the fix).

The problem also occured much more frequently with 2.1.X DS.

	Hope this helps,
				Glenn

glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz

p.s. Have you read "Nine Princes in Amber" ? If yes then maybe you can tell me
	if the 4th book in the 2nd series has been released yet.

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (09/11/89)

In article <597@extro.ucc.su.oz> glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz (G. Geers) writes:
>In article <1024@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP writes: "... getting a
>'Compiler Error (Internal) : infinite spill'. ..."
>
> [stuff deleted]
> Note that this
>doesn't happen in small model where sizeof(int *) = sizeof(int). I have
>*never* seen it on our 386.

I have.  You cannot compile Faircom's Rtree report generator without
"simmplifying" several expressions to avoid the 'infinite spill.'

If I remember right, you also cannot compile TeX without fixing
several 'infinite spill' errors.  I am using the 2.3.1 development
system.  I am really anxious to see how often the 'infinite spill'
error pops up in the 3.2 version of the development system.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University