[comp.unix.xenix] lost bell, can I get it back?

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (09/07/89)

This is a minor annoyance:

Whenever I switch between mulitscreens in SCO at the
same moment the bell is to sound, I loose the bell forever
on all screens!

The only way I have found to restore it is to reboot.
<Ctrl-G> has no effect at this point.

What causes this? Can I get my bell back without rebooting?
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/09/89)

From article <625@holston.UUCP>, by barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk):

> What causes this? Can I get my bell back without rebooting?

  Call Intel, they have the bell now!

  Sorry, couldn't resist it.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (09/10/89)

In article <625@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>Whenever I switch between mulitscreens in SCO at the
>same moment the bell is to sound, I loose the bell forever
>on all screens!
>
>The only way I have found to restore it is to reboot.
><Ctrl-G> has no effect at this point.

Eventually it will return.  I don't know whether it returns with time, or
whether I jsut tended to do something that fixed it after a time, but when
I was experiencing this problem things would always straighten out eventually.

I haven't payed much attention to it, but I don't think we are having this
problem with SCO Xenix 386.
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (09/11/89)

[ Bell (sound) disappears when switching multiscreen during the beep ]

I'd like to know this one very much too.

For us it is a some-what-more-than-minor annoyance, because the
operator at the console needs to be paged by modem users.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (09/11/89)

In article <625@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

< This is a minor annoyance:
<
< Whenever I switch between mulitscreens in SCO at the
< same moment the bell is to sound, I loose the bell forever
< on all screens!

This problem exists in the 2.2 and previous versions of
SCO Xenix.  SCO Xenix 2.3 and SCO UNIX 3.2 do not have
this problem.  Also on 286's the bug actually only causes
a loss of the bell for a few hours.

	---- Bug anatomy ----

On screen switches the video driver turned off the bell and
set the count of "remaining ^G's" to 0.  The remaining timeout()
for the end of the current "beep" was still outstanding.  It
would come in and decrement the "remaining ^G's"" counter to -1.

Now as long as that counter is non-zero the driver assumes
the bell is ringing already and won't start the speaker sounding.

The bell tone is 1/5 of a second in duration (unless you
change it).  On a 286 in (2^16)/5 = 13,107 second = ~3.6 hours
the bell functionality will return.

On a 386 the word size make it take a bit longer.	:-)
--
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (09/12/89)

In article <625@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:
>>Whenever I switch between mulitscreens in SCO at the
>>same moment the bell is to sound, I loose the bell forever
>>on all screens!
>>
>>The only way I have found to restore it is to reboot.
>><Ctrl-G> has no effect at this point.

Have you tried executing 'mapkey' ? This utility restores the keyboard
scancode conversion map for ALL multiscreens.  If the problem is the
keyboard map getting bashed (and I suspect it is, since you mention that
all multiscreens are affected), this should restore it.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

wht@tridom.uucp (Warren Tucker) (09/12/89)

In article <207353@neabbs.UUCP>, richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
> [ Bell (sound) disappears when switching multiscreen during the beep ]
>
> I'd like to know this one very much too.
>
> For us it is a some-what-more-than-minor annoyance, because the
> operator at the console needs to be paged by modem users.
>
> Richard
> (...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

I didn't see the original posting, but I assume you are using SCO XENIX
version 2.2.x or before.  I had a similar problem with 286 2.2.1, but
don't find it with 386 2.3.1.  The problem manifested itself here whenever
I was switching between multiscreens _during_ the bell beep.  I used setcolor
to lengthen the bell period, thus it was a real pain.  I never found a way
to recover the bell without rebooting.  A sort of workaround: use setcolor
on _EVERY_ multiscreen (i.e., at .profile or .login time) to _shorten_ the
bell period.  This reduces but doesn't eliminate the failure mode.
Warren Tucker, Tridom Corporation       ...!gatech!emory!tridom!wht
"Might as well be frank, monsieur.  It would take a miracle to get
you out of Casablanca and the Germans have outlawed miracles."