[comp.unix.xenix] MCA multiport boards??

todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/12/89)

Does anyone out there have any experience with running XENIX on an IBM
Model-80 and a multiserial port board?

I'm aware of two companies making boards that will give me more serial
ports to hang users off of a Model-80: DigiBoard and Comtrol.  Has anyone
used boards from these two companies on a Model 80 with XENIX?

Thanks...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (09/13/89)

In article <4824@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any experience with running XENIX on an IBM
>Model-80 and a multiserial port board?
>
>I'm aware of two companies making boards that will give me more serial
>ports to hang users off of a Model-80: DigiBoard and Comtrol.  Has anyone
>used boards from these two companies on a Model 80 with XENIX?

Have 4 different Model 80's with the Anvil Stallion boards.  12 ports to a
card.  Another system, that will probably get approved next week will be the
guniea pig for their new 16 port card. That board is supposed to have an
aggregate throughput of 300kbs   per board.  We shall see.

Works well for our uses, multi-user office type environment.  I have heard that
they have had problems with high-speed incoming lines with uucp - eg several
telibits coming in at 19k simultaneously.

We set all at 38k and have had no problems in interactive use.  You can also
set the drivers up to be able to use 2 sessions per terminal up to a limit of
24 sessions.   Haven't had experience with the others.

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (09/15/89)

In article <4824@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any experience with running XENIX on an IBM
>Model-80 and a multiserial port board?
>ports to hang users off of a Model-80: DigiBoard and Comtrol.  Has anyone

These two boards are excellent, and along with these there is also:
Computone PS8, StarGate MC8, Arnet and probably others.
Hope this helps a bit.

...  My personal preference is the Computone at this time, but
     the Arnet is definitely getting my attention.

.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..
.. Easton, Maryland  21601         ..    (301) 820-4670      ..