[comp.unix.xenix] MultiView questions

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (09/18/89)

We've been using MultiView at our site for a while now.

While it's a great package, I seem to notice that with two people running
multiview, the system gets pretty beat up. I wonder if anyone else has seen
this??

On our main machine, a 25 MHz 386 with 8 Meg of RAM. It's not as badly
affected as our 16 MHz machine, which has at least two heavy duty mview users
on it at all times.

Is there any other (perhaps public domain) packages out there that do
windowing on ascii terminals? Has anyone ported the UCB /usr/ucb/window
program (or something similar) to Xenix?

Seraching for alternatives...

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/18/89)

In article <KAYVAN.89Sep17222039@mrspoc.Transact.COM>, kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
> We've been using MultiView at our site for a while now.
>
> While it's a great package, I seem to notice that with two people running
> multiview, the system gets pretty beat up. I wonder if anyone else has seen
> this??

I had multiview runtime installed on nstar - since it came with the
Professional package.  I did notice that after booting the modified
kernel (created from the install script) that the system response was much
slower and I ended up removing the Professional, Manager and Multiview
since I never ran it.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (09/18/89)

In article <KAYVAN.89Sep17222039@mrspoc.Transact.COM>, kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
> We've been using MultiView at our site for a while now.
> While it's a great package, I seem to notice that with two people running
> multiview, the system gets pretty beat up. I wonder if anyone else has seen
> this??
> Is there any other (perhaps public domain) packages out there that do
> windowing on ascii terminals? Has anyone ported the UCB /usr/ucb/window
> program (or something similar) to Xenix?
> 			---Kayvan
> --
> Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
> Internet: kayvan@Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan

I have used both MultiView and FaceTerm.  While MultiView is fancier, the
simplicity of FaceTerm may offer some speed improvements.  I have used it
primarily on Unisys machines, but I know they also offer it for Xenix.

It allows up to 16 windows for a user.  They also have a product called
PC-Facet that allows a PC to offload much of the windowing protocol from the
host to the PC.  What I liked best of FaceTerm was it's ability to buffer
the complete screen for a session in most terminals, so that when you switch
between sessions, you don't lose the screen.  Multi-View uses system buffers,
which is part of the overhead loss.

Try calling:
	Neal Bert
	Dir. Marketing
	Structured Software Solutions, Inc.
	4031 West Plano Parkway
	Suite 205
	Plano, Tx. 75093
	(214)985-9901

bruce

	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+