[comp.unix.xenix] WordPerfect under VP/ix won't work for me

mquigley@kean.mun.ca (Martyn Quigley, E3044, x8656) (09/04/89)

Forgive me if this is something painfully obvious.  I am new to Xenix.

I am running VP/ix 1.01.01 under SCO 2.3.3 (on an HP RS/25c), with a
32 M DOS partition and 120 M Xenix partition.  Sometimes I try to
run WordPerfect 5.0 on top of VP/ix.  Can anyone suggest why WP
will not run from the Xenix file system ("Replace disk in drive and
press any key") whilst it runs OK through VP/ix from the DOS partition?
It seems it cannot find WP.FIL.  I've tried the obvious things, but
don't let that stop you making any suggestion that occurs to you.

Please send email, I'll post the answer when it arrives.  Thank you.

Martyn

PS.  Congrats to SCO for getting the 1.01.01 to me so fast.  I sent
them an email message asking for the upgrade, and it was FedEx'ed
way up here right away.  Well done guys.

mquigley@kean.mun.ca (Martyn Quigley, E3044, x8656) (09/19/89)

In article <14662@kean.mun.ca>, mquigley@kean.mun.ca (Martyn Quigley, E3044,
x8656) ie me wrote:

> Can anyone suggest why WordPerfect 5.0
> will not run from the Xenix file system ("Replace disk in drive and
> press any key") whilst it runs OK through VP/ix from the DOS partition?
> Please send email, I'll post the answer when it arrives.  Thank you.
>
> Martyn

I replied to all email received, except to Hershel Belkin, to whom mail
bounced.  Thank you to him.  The messages yielded three solutions:

1	Run WP from the DOS partition (not attractive since the users
	need write permiss)
2	Buy the Xenix version of WordPerfect (not attractive since we
	have a site licence which gives DOS WP to me for $34, and also
	I believe the Xenix version is still 4.2)
3	Install WP on the C: pseudodrive (a problem since WP writes
	temporary files like there is no tomorrow so C: is likely to
	grow rapidly).

I guess the only sensible solution is to buy the Xenix version of WP,
though I shall wait until version 5 appears.  I would still like to
know why WP 5.0 won't run from the Xenix filesystem, while version
4.2 does so just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Martyn