[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix and Archive Tape Drives

frankb@usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell) (09/07/89)

In article <26@fleet.UUCP> mel@.UUCP () writes:
>In article <34@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>> Xenix also works with nearly everyone's tape drives. ...
>
> SCO Xenix isn't all that great at tape drive support either.
> Ever since I switched to 2.3.1 Xenix it takes TWO attempts at
> starting the tape drive.  (I'm using an Archive 150 meg/QIC02
> internal on my HP Vectra 386/RS20)

Strange... we have a client who has been using an Archive 150M
tape with 2.3.1 for a year or so without any such problems as
you describe.  Are there any interrupt/address nonsense
conflicts?  We set ours up such that the board is set for INT 2,
then lie to the software and tell it INT 25 (decimal).  This
frees up 3,4,5,7, and others just in case.  All other parameters
in the software (driver) setup remain default.  Works great; you
might give it a try.
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/08/89)

in article <233@usource.UUCP>, frankb@usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell) says:

| In article <26@fleet.UUCP> mel@.UUCP () writes:
|>In article <34@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

|> SCO Xenix isn't all that great at tape drive support either.
|> Ever since I switched to 2.3.1 Xenix it takes TWO attempts at
|> starting the tape drive.  (I'm using an Archive 150 meg/QIC02
|> internal on my HP Vectra 386/RS20)
|
| Strange... we have a client who has been using an Archive 150M
| tape with 2.3.1 for a year or so without any such problems as
| you describe.  Are there any interrupt/address nonsense

My Everex 386/20 with Archive 150 MB and ? SCSI adapter also takes
two tries, with absolute consistency.
XENIX/386 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.3.?
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/10/89)

Ihave never been a real fan of Archive and after seeing a couple of the
recent postings on the net about Archive, I feel substantiated.  I have
been using a Cipher SCSI 150MB tape drive for about a year without
a hiccup on SCO 386 XENIX 2.2.4/2.3.2GT.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (09/11/89)

In article <7100021@adaptex> neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:

>I have
>been using a Cipher SCSI 150MB tape drive for about a year without
>a hiccup on SCO 386 XENIX 2.2.4/2.3.2GT.

Is there an error correcting device driver in 2.3.2 that supports
the SCSI drives?  I would like to use a SCSI tape, but I do not want
to give up the error correcting device driver that SCO supplies for
QIC-02 interface cards.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/11/89)

The Cipher (and probably others) have ECC in the hardware.  It has been
my experience that ECC is best done in the hardware.

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) (09/12/89)

In article <1217@mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:

>My Everex 386/20 with Archive 150 MB and ? SCSI adapter also takes
>two tries, with absolute consistency.
>XENIX/386 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.3.?

I'm using an Archive VP 150 with QIC 02 adapter, and experiance the same
problem under SCO Xenix 2.3.3GT, BUT only after changing the tape.

Noel

frankb@usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell) (09/13/89)

+
+|> SCO Xenix isn't all that great at tape drive support either.
+|> Ever since I switched to 2.3.1 Xenix it takes TWO attempts at
+|> starting the tape drive.  (I'm using an Archive 150 meg/QIC02
+|> internal on my HP Vectra 386/RS20)
+|
+| Strange... we have a client who has been using an Archive 150M
+| tape with 2.3.1 for a year or so without any such problems as
+| you describe.  Are there any interrupt/address nonsense
+
+My Everex 386/20 with Archive 150 MB and ? SCSI adapter also takes
+two tries, with absolute consistency.
+XENIX/386 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.3.?

Hmm.... could it be the CPU speed?  Ours are 16MHz... I think
both of the "broken" ones are 20MHz (at least I think
HP...386/RS20 means it's 20MHz).  Anybody else have any broken
20MHz or working 16MHz varieties?
--

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/15/89)

> Hmm.... could it be the CPU speed?  Ours are 16MHz... I think
> both of the "broken" ones are 20MHz (at least I think
> HP...386/RS20 means it's 20MHz).  Anybody else have any broken
> 20MHz or working 16MHz varieties?

My Everex tape drive works fine the first time under SCO 2.3.2 on
my 25 mhz '386 box.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8

mikel@taumet.UUCP (Michael S. Lueke) (09/18/89)

In article <235@usource.UUCP> frankb@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:
>Hmm.... could it be the CPU speed?  Ours are 16MHz... I think
>both of the "broken" ones are 20MHz (at least I think
>HP...386/RS20 means it's 20MHz).  Anybody else have any broken
>20MHz or working 16MHz varieties?

I have a TeleVideo 386/16MHz running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and an Archive 150MB
tape drive. I also have the problem of having to access the tape drive twice
before it works.  CPU speed doesn't seem to be the answer. Sorry.

	      Michael Lueke, uunet!taumet!mikel

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (09/21/89)

From article <171@taumet.UUCP>, by mikel@taumet.UUCP (Michael S. Lueke):
> I have a TeleVideo 386/16MHz running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and an Archive 150MB
> tape drive. I also have the problem of having to access the tape drive twice
> before it works.  CPU speed doesn't seem to be the answer. Sorry.

If you guys are accessing the tape system with the 'tape' command,
I suggest that you issue the command 'tape reset' before
each and every tape operation to ensure reliable performance.

It aint perfect, but if you want your data, you gotta do it.

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote