[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (09/12/89)

Well, we finally got a second hard disk for our AST Premium/386 20mHz
machine.  We got a CDC WREN V, 1224 cylinders, 15 heads.  Now,
we got it up and running, and fdisk says it's got 308000 blocks, or about
317 megabytes, which is right, but the XENIX kernel or something will
only let us get at the first 1024 cylinders (indeed, if that many).
When I do a "df -v" the drive says it has 198000 blocks total.  Or a little
over 200MB.  We need the whole thing, and we need it bad.

I can't believe version 2.2.3 can't support big hard disk drives.  I called
SCO Support today and got a suggestion that I play with DOS DEBUG and
fiddle with the WD1007-WAH ESDI controller chip that's on AST's disk
controller card.  I said, what do I type into DEBUG, like what address, etc?
He said he didn't know.  So I am kinda stuck.

Is there anything I can do to get access to the full 317 MB of the drive,
under SCO XENIX 386 2.2.3?  Or will I have to buy SCO UNIX?  The SCO Support
guy said that this problem "doesn't exist" on SCO UNIX (hmm...).

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?  What did you do?

If I have to upgrade, and say I upgrade to 2.3.1... would I have to delete
everything that's on the disk now, and reformat it?   I hear that version
2.3.1 supports big drives like the WREN...

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

-- brian l. dear
   coconut computing, inc.
   7946 ivanhoe ave, suite 303
   la jolla, ca 92037

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (09/12/89)

      My manual or (release notes), state that SCO Unix3.2 has a 1024 cylinder
limit still. !   If SCO Unix3.2 can handle more than 1024 cylinders, then they
better get it clarified, or in thier manuals.
  Where I currently use a WD1007 controller, it dosent matter to me, but I,m
sure others do care about such details.

(disclaimer)

Rick Furniss

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (09/12/89)

Re big Wren drives > 1024 cylinders

You can always use the option, available via your WD1007 controller,
of formatting the drive as usual, but having the controller make it
appear to the operating system as though there were 63 sectors per
track and a whole lot less tracks.  I did this with my Miniscribe
3180E, and everything works fine.  Dunno about your Wren for sure, but
you can always call WD.  They know what is going on much better than
most of the drive manufacturers.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

In article <13569@well.UUCP> whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) writes:

>Well, we finally got a second hard disk for our AST Premium/386 20mHz
>machine.  We got a CDC WREN V, 1224 cylinders, 15 heads.  Now,
>we got it up and running, and fdisk says it's got 308000 blocks, or about
>317 megabytes, which is right, but the XENIX kernel or something will
>only let us get at the first 1024 cylinders (indeed, if that many).
>When I do a "df -v" the drive says it has 198000 blocks total.  Or a little
>over 200MB.  We need the whole thing, and we need it bad.
>
>I can't believe version 2.2.3 can't support big hard disk drives.  I called
>SCO Support today and got a suggestion that I play with DOS DEBUG and
>fiddle with the WD1007-WAH ESDI controller chip that's on AST's disk
>controller card.  I said, what do I type into DEBUG, like what address, etc?
>He said he didn't know.  So I am kinda stuck.

Well, you have two choices:

o)	Change the jumpers on the controller so that it remaps the drive
	type to something that has < 1024 cylinders and 63 sectors per
	track.  This is supported by the WD1007 controller.  You should not
	have to reformat for this, although you will need to play
	(CAREFULLY) with the "dkinit" program.  Make a floppy boot and root
	diskette before you mess with this!  The geometry change itself is
	done through debug with "G=c800:5" from MSDOS.  I am not certain
	whether messing with this will wipe the disk contents however -- I'd
	make a backup first to be sure.

	Whether AST's "funny" board can handle this is another matter.  If you
	get really stuck you can toss the AST board and get a regular
	WD1007-WA2, those work great.

o)	Upgrade to 2.3.2, which will handle a drive with > 1024 cylinders.
	It is not necessary to go all the way to SCO Unix, although I guess
	you could do that as well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (09/13/89)

[ > 1024 cylinders ]

We use a Newbury 1224 cylinder disk with SCO XENIX 2.2.3 and WD 1005
ESDI controller.

The 'solution' to use the extra cylinders is so standard that I hardly
dare to suggest it.

Anyway, we just set up our BIOS to some drive type with the right
number of heads, but less cylinders. (BIOS limit is 10 bits). Then,
when installing XENIX, use the dkinit program to set the correct
drive parameters. Works fine here.

Again, this may not work with de WD 1007 or other controllers, but you
never know.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (09/13/89)

In article <751@pmafire.UUCP> rickf@pmafire.UUCP (Rick Furniss) writes:
>      My manual or (release notes), state that SCO Unix3.2 has a 1024 cylinder
>limit still. !   If SCO Unix3.2 can handle more than 1024 cylinders, then they
>better get it clarified, or in thier manuals.

SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
1024 cylinders. If you want to use a drive that has greater than
1024 cylinders, then you ought to purchase a controller such as, the
WD1007 or DTC 6280 (ESDI) if you are running ESDI, and have
the controller bios redefine the disk parameters (cylinder,head,sectors)
which SCO uses. How a particular controller redefines the greater than
1024 cylinder disk is the responsibility of the controller manufacturer.
If it don't work, it's the manufacturers problem, not SCO's. After all,
which comes first, hardware selection, or software selection.

--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (09/14/89)

In article <13569@well.UUCP> whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) writes:
>Well, we finally got a second hard disk for our AST Premium/386 20mHz
>machine.  We got a CDC WREN V, 1224 cylinders, 15 heads.  Now,
>we got it up and running, and fdisk says it's got 308000 blocks, or about
>317 megabytes, which is right, but the XENIX kernel or something will
>only let us get at the first 1024 cylinders (indeed, if that many).

SCO XENIX 2.2 and above has no problem using disks larger than 1024
cylinders.  However, if you must share the disk with MS-DOS, you will
be limited to 1024, because that is as much as MS-DOS understands.
Another limitation may be your CMOS setup table, which may not have
a disk entry large enough for your disk.  If that is the case, use the
entry that is closest, then during XENIX installation (or using the
dparam(ADM) utility), alter the default disk parameters to match your
hard disk.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

in article <5563@seac.UUCP>, wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) says:

> If it don't work, it's the manufacturers problem, not SCO's. After all,
> which comes first, hardware selection, or software selection.

For people migrating up from a DOS machine with a big disk to XENIX it's
hardware selection.....

Why did the 1024 limit start? Well, the MSDOS defined partition table
layout only allows 10bit cylinder numbers. So I could see if the
machine was going to have DOS and XENIX partitions using the disk to
stick with the MSDOS partition table layout. However, if someone wnated
a XENIX only machine shouldn't XENIX be easily able to do its own
hard disk boot sector to handle a partition table layout that is
different? And since XENIX is contained within one physical partition
that then has logical partitions....

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home: ...uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (09/14/89)

In article <5563@seac.UUCP> wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) writes:
>SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
>1024 cylinders.

SCO, is this really true?  Why would you throw away something as nice
as the ability to specify > 1024 cylinders like you can in 2.3.x?

Ross, could you clear this up for all of us?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

ronald@ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) (09/14/89)

In article <5364@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:

>Re big Wren drives > 1024 cylinders
>
>You can always use the option, available via your WD1007 controller,
>of formatting the drive as usual, but having the controller make it
>appear to the operating system as though there were 63 sectors per
>track and a whole lot less tracks.
Beware that there are several pitfalls here:

	1) invoking sector translation can have a performance hit.
	   After all, mkfs/fsck -s organises the free list assuming
	   the actual shape of the disc is what you tell it is.
	   These assumptions can go horribly wrong when you invoke
	   peculiar translations like the 1007 can do.  It'll WORK,
	   but you'll have your disc seeking all over the shop.
	   Can you say Sloooooow? I thought you could...

	2) there can be a confusion when you mention 63 sector mode--
	   there is a NON-TRANSLATED 63 sector mode where each sector
	   is 256 bytes in size.  (You did say WD1007 ESDI, right?)
	   You definitely DO NOT want to low-level format the disc
	   in this format :-)

	3) Hey, why muck around? Xenix does *not* have a 1024
	   cylinder limit.  Try it and see--just make sure that
	   in the early part of the disc initialisation process,
	   that you OVERRIDE the disc parameters.  This causes
	   /usr/lib/mkdev/hd to perform a dparam -w which
	   lets you use a disc of any reasonable shape, even if your
	   BIOS does not have a corresponding drive type number.
	   Just use any type number with the same number of heads,
	   and a lower cylinder count to enable the boot sequence
	   to operate properly.  No hassle. Honest. I do it alla time :-)

--
Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK (The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ)
$Header: /users/ronald/.signature,v 1.1 89/09/03 23:36:16 ronald Exp $ :-)

In article <4593@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

>For people migrating up from a DOS machine with a big disk to XENIX it's
>hardware selection.....

>Why did the 1024 limit start? Well, the MSDOS defined partition table
>layout only allows 10bit cylinder numbers. So I could see if the
>machine was going to have DOS and XENIX partitions using the disk to
>stick with the MSDOS partition table layout. However, if someone wnated
>a XENIX only machine shouldn't XENIX be easily able to do its own
>hard disk boot sector to handle a partition table layout that is
>different?

Xenix 2.3, I can assure you, will work with disks that have more than 1024
cylinders.  We routinely set them up with Maxstor XT4380Es and have no
problem disabling the "remap" code, or in some cases even the BIOS (flaky
system BIOS routines force this at times).  In that case you end up with
1224 cyls X 15 heads, which works fine and gives you full capacity.

I understand 2.2 can't hack this.  Now someone's saying 3.2 doesn't?  I
find it hard to believe that 2.3 can deal with it, but 3.2 (which is
supposed to be _more_ advanced) cannot.  Not having 3.2 here (yet) I can't
give you any first-hand information.

--

wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (09/15/89)

In article <4593@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>in article <5563@seac.UUCP>, wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) says:
>>
>> If it don't work, it's the manufacturers problem, not SCO's. After all,
>> which comes first, hardware selection, or software selection.
>
>For people migrating up from a DOS machine with a big disk to XENIX it's
>hardware selection.....
>
>Why did the 1024 limit start? Well, the MSDOS defined partition table
>layout only allows 10bit cylinder numbers. So I could see if the
>machine was going to have DOS and XENIX partitions using the disk to
>stick with the MSDOS partition table layout. However, if someone wnated
>a XENIX only machine shouldn't XENIX be easily able to do its own
>hard disk boot sector to handle a partition table layout that is
>different? And since XENIX is contained within one physical partition
>that then has logical partitions....

Was not trying to pose the 'Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?'
question; nor trying to get into the technical reasons for why the 1024
limit is a reality. I agree with you, SCO should be able to do things
itself. My posting was in-reply to the assertion that SCO UNIX 3.2's
documentation should be clear on whether or not it supports greater than
1024 cylinders. And, I simply pointed out that it is quite clear that SCO
UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than 1024 cylinders. To quote from page
A-12 of the Release Notes for SCO UNIX 3.2:

	"SCO supports UNIX on hard disks with up to the 1024
     cylinders only. Some hard disks have more than 1024
     cylinders. Due to the non-standard nature of the hard
     disk controllers that support disks with more than
	 1024 cylinders, and due to the need for DOS co-residency,
     SCO does not support UNIX on these disks. However, UNIX
	 has been reported to work on disks with more than 1024
	 cylinders. For example, with the DPT PM3011 controller,
     UNIX works with disks containing 2048 cylinders, 16 heads,
     and 63 sectors, for a total maximum disk capacity of 1
     gigabyte."

If this quote is not clear as to what SCO UNIX 3.2 does and does not support,
then I will have to declare myself 'illiterate.' (Probably should, anyways,
if I keep getting myself into discussions that seemingly go round and round.)

As to which comes first, the harware or the software, in this case, like it
or not, buy the software first, then the hardware. SCO states, very succinctly
that because it considers controllers that support greater than 1024 to be
non-standard and because it supports DOS co-residency, it does not support
greater than 1024 cylinders.

Having dispensed with what SCO UNIX 3.2 does and does not support with respect
to cylinder count, SCO UNIX 3.2 documentation at page A-23 states that they
have 'used' a number of controllers, some of which provide a means to go beyond
the 1024 limit in some manner. To support and to have used, from my
perspective, are very different. That something 'works' has a different
meaning, as well.
--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain

I am using Unix 3.2 with a 1224 cyl disk and the OMTI ESDI controller.
It works fine.

I can understand SCO not wanting to officially support such a thing, though.
SCO has to run on a thousand platforms and they don't all handle 1224 cyl
disks.   But if they *say* they support it, and it goes wrong, then
people are going to complain to SCO.  And I doubt they need the headaches.

What SCO has to do shortly, however, is list some harware configurations for
large disks that are assured to work, and declare support for those.
People do want large disks, now that they are getting so cheap.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (09/15/89)

In article <5806@viscous.sco.COM>, rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) writes:
> SCO XENIX 2.2 and above has no problem using disks larger than 1024
> cylinders.  However, if you must share the disk with MS-DOS, you will
> be limited to 1024, because that is as much as MS-DOS understands.

I'm not sure this is exactly true, perhaps a little misleading is a better
term.

I have a CDC ESDI drive with 1224 cylinders.  I used a version of Disk Manager
that supports drives > 1024 clylinders to create
a DOS partition > 200 cylinders (I don't remember how many exactly) so that
the each of the two partitions (DOS and Xenix) were less than 1024
cylinders.

Then I installed DOS on the DOS partition, Xenix on the other and everything
works just dandy.  Granted, when I run FDISK under DOS to look at the
partition table it reports funny numbers, but DIR still reports the 30MB or
so of space in the DOS partition.  No problem for me.

> Another limitation may be your CMOS setup table, which may not have
> a disk entry large enough for your disk.  If that is the case, use the
> entry that is closest, then during XENIX installation (or using the
> dparam(ADM) utility), alter the default disk parameters to match your
> hard disk.

I used the set up and format utilities builtin to the WD controller I have,
and it did this for me (picking the CMOS setup table entry, that is), but it
also did something that Xenix understood, cause when I ran dparam during
the installation, the default number of cylinders came up as 1224.

The only hard part about this whole ordeal was finding the right version of
Disk Manager. :-)
-------------
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences --			Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
A division of Ahlstrom			UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (09/16/89)

From article <5563@seac.UUCP>, by wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson):
> SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
> 1024 cylinders. If you want to use a drive that has greater than
> 1024 cylinders, then you ought to purchase a controller such as, the
> WD1007 or DTC 6280 (ESDI) if you are running ESDI, and have
> the controller bios redefine the disk parameters (cylinder,head,sectors)
> which SCO uses.

Agreed, those controllers will provide the means to low-level
format the drive throughout its data surface. But then the
responsibility falls on the OS to use that surface; and SCO
Xenix Releases 2.2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, and SCO UNIX 3.2 have all
successfully been installed on a drive with 1166 cylinders using
both DTC5287 and DTC7287 ( 1:1 interleave ) disk controllers.
Other drives with > 1024 cylinders have successfully been installed
under similar hardware environments.

`dparam /dev/rhd0a`  prints:

1166 7 0 65535 0 0 1166 26

This is on a working system.

John Boteler
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote

--
No working paths available!

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (09/16/89)

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions and comments concerning our
1024-limit-disk-saga.  Here's the scoop: first of all, we don't care
if DOS is on either the 90meg or 318meg drive.  In fact, the big drive
was formatted completely for XENIX.  Divvy sez there are 308000+ blocks.
Which is right.  But I can't get at more than 198000 of 'em.  So
following numerous suggestions from Western Digital, AST, SCO, and other
folks, I tried firing up DOS from the a: drive and running DEBUG.
When I type g=c800:5 I get nothing.  Everyone tells me I'm supposed to
get a little program that lets me set translate modes etc.  Well, I don't
get such a program; rather I get a hung machine.  Now, AST insists I have
a WD1007-WAH controller chip on its AST ESDI controller.  Isn't this
DEBUG invocation supposed to work?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your continued advice and suggestions.  (Sorry to
have created an international incident!! :-)

-- brian l. dear
   coconut computing, inc.
   7946 ivanhoe ave, suite 303
   la jolla, ca 92037
   619/456-2002
   home of the COCONET(sm) on-line information service

in article <245@bahamut.fsc.com>, jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) says:

> I have a CDC ESDI drive with 1224 cylinders.  I used a version of Disk Manager
> that supports drives > 1024 clylinders to create
> a DOS partition > 200 cylinders (I don't remember how many exactly) so that
> the each of the two partitions (DOS and Xenix) were less than 1024
> cylinders.
>
> Then I installed DOS on the DOS partition, Xenix on the other and everything
> works just dandy.  Granted, when I run FDISK under DOS to look at the
> partition table it reports funny numbers, but DIR still reports the 30MB or
> so of space in the DOS partition.  No problem for me.

I did a similar tweek with a PRIAM 519 and a WD1006 using HARDRIVE.SYS
from SpeedStor. I works fine but (1) I had to boot DOS from a floppy as
'dos' at the ':' prompt wouldn't find the area. (2) doscp wouldn't
see the DOS partition on the disk.

As a side note, OS/2 1.1's FDISK still has the silly 1024 limit. One
wonders how much longer DOS will continue to anchor us down. (This is a
rhetorical question, please don't waste net-bandwidth with a response)

On the XENIX/DOS coexistence topic, lately, I've been running XENIX on a
Toshiba MK156 (?) 147MB SCSI drive completely devoted to XENIX. I then
do any DOS development work using VP/ix. There are a few minor quirks
with the way VP/ix works, but overall this method of working seems to be
working out fine. It also has the added advantage that all my DOS work
gets backed up when I back up my XENIX work.

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/16/89)

> folks, I tried firing up DOS from the a: drive and running DEBUG.
> When I type g=c800:5 I get nothing.  Everyone tells me I'm supposed to
> get a little program that lets me set translate modes etc.  Well, I don't

That address (c800:5) depends on if the bios on the controller is enabled,
and if it is set for the primary or secondary address.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (09/18/89)

From article <5564@seac.UUCP>, by wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson):
> ... To support and to have used, from my
> perspective, are very different. That something 'works' has a different
> meaning, as well.

support: Santa Cruz Operation, The (the corporate entity) supports
	their operating systems only in computers utilizing drives
	whose cylinder count is 1024 or less.

works: Several, including myself, have reported SCO releases
	working. For my part, this means that the systems perform
	as intended with no ill effects.

'to have used': I can only assume that if someone has used a
	system with the discussed parameters, it must have
	worked!

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (09/19/89)

According to wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson):
>SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
>1024 cylinders.

But this is insane!  SCO Xenix/386 2.3 supports more than 1024 cylinders.
We sell 1224-cylinder drives to our customers.  We intend(ed) to upgrade
our customers to SCO Unix eventually; but how can we do so if the drives
won't work?!

How could they possibly go _backwards_ like this, insisting all the while
that SCO Unix is an _improvement_?

I hope this is just a nightmare...
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) (09/19/89)

One thing that bugs me about >1024 cylinder drives has not been
brought up.  Since hardware diagnostics (and several other sorts of
utilities) work through the BIOS, they will stomp on the last cylinder
of the drive as reported by the drive type.  If the drive type has a
limit of 1024, that's someplace mysterious towards the end of your
disk.  If the drive type has a limit greater than 1024, over the
10-bit limit of the BIOS, then it will wrap around to someplace
mysterious in the beginning of your disk, in your swap space if you
get lucky.

  --jh
--
John Hood, Biar Games snail: 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850
domain: jhood@biar.uu.net bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood

ronald@ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) (09/21/89)

In article <251659CD.19953@ateng.com> chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson):
>>SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
>>1024 cylinders.
>But this is insane!  SCO Xenix/386 2.3 supports more than 1024 cylinders.

That's what I thought as well, since it *works* (yeah, and under the 2.2.3
I'm typing at as well) but that's simply not true.  Somewhere earlier along
this thread someone commented that this was because messdoss/xenix
coexistence couldn't be supported in such a case, so sco decided not to
support *any* use of >1024 cyls. Agh.  Note: *support*.  Doesn't mean
it don't work: just make sure that 1) you don't put messdos on the
same disc, 2) change back down to a <= 1024 cyl disc before calling
sco support.  Arrgghh.

Yep, Go look at your release notes

	"Some hard disks have more than 1024 cylinders.  At this time,
	 XENIX supports a maximum of 1024 cylinders."

Sigh.

Oi, Rosso, whatcha gonna do about this ? :-)
--
Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK (The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ)
$Header: /users/ronald/.signature,v 1.1 89/09/03 23:36:16 ronald Exp $ :-)

vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) (09/25/89)

	Just to add my 5c worth to this interesting topic.
	I run a Xenix system at home with a Priam V185
	70 MB hard disk which for thos not in the know has
	1166 cylinders. My Xenix is an 80286 version 2.2.1
	and when starting the system up from scratch I told
	xenix that I had a hard disk with 1166 cylinders.
	Xenix proceeded to format the total 1166 cylinders
	without a worry in the world.

	I am using the standard WD 1006V-MM2 controller and
	the setup is working fine

	Regards, Mark Gregson