[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Unix 3.2 passwords

root@medsys.UUCP (Super user) (09/20/89)

Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

In article <803@medsys.UUCP> root@medsys.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
>This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

I certainly hope this is possible.  If not we're going to be quite a bit
less interested in 3.2, as our captive BBS service (free to anyone who calls
our data number) won't work without it.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (09/22/89)

In article <803@medsys.UUCP>, root@medsys.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
> This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

I haven't touched SCO Unix 3.2 but I don't see why this would
be a problem.  Just vi /etc/shadow and do as you want.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

Lefty@cup.portal.com (Christopher B Durham) (09/23/89)

Sure, it's possible to create an anonymous UUCP login on SCO UNIX 3.2

When creating the user and the sysadmsh asks you to assign an initila password,
hit <RETURN> when it asks you enter and verify the new password. This will set
the password to just a CR. However, the system will *always* ask you for a
password, even if there isn't one. In these cases, the Systems file or L.sys
must look for a Password prompt, and send a return:

sys Any ACU 2400 1234567 ogin:--ogin:--ogin: uucp word: \r

The \r normally sends a return.
There is no way to stop the system from sending out a Password: prompt.

-chris durham
Lefty@cup.portal.com

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/23/89)

From article <1989Sep21.151325.8827@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, by karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger):
> In article <803@medsys.UUCP> root@medsys.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>>Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
>>This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

  Try 'passwd -d login_name'
---Bob

P.S. An annoying feature of unix 3.2 is password ageing. I don't know
     if its the same on the C2 version of SCO's unix but to turn it off:
     'passwd -x -1 login_name'

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/24/89)

In article <190@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>In article <803@medsys.UUCP>, root@medsys.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>> Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
>> This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

>I haven't touched SCO Unix 3.2 but I don't see why this would
>be a problem.  Just vi /etc/shadow and do as you want.

It is almost this simple, but there is one further change that you must
make under 3.2 in order for it to work. I was really confused for a while
because I would make the shadow entry for nuucp's passwd empty and I
would still get a password prompt even though hitting return would be
sufficient. It turns out that there is a little file: /etc/default/login
which has a line that by default looks like: PASSREQ=YES; this is what
is forcing the prompt. Simply change that to NO and then unpassworded
logins work just fine.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

In article <22426@cup.portal.com> Lefty@cup.portal.com (Christopher B Durham) writes:

>Sure, it's possible to create an anonymous UUCP login on SCO UNIX 3.2

>There is no way to stop the system from sending out a Password: prompt.

See my other posting on this, I believed this statement to be true for
some time also, but unless SCO is doing something different that ISC (and
I don't believe they are), then this simply is not true, the only problem
is that you have PASSREQ=YES in the /etc/default/login file.

--

In article <656@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

|  P.S. An annoying feature of unix 3.2 is password ageing. I don't know
|       if its the same on the C2 version of SCO's unix but to turn it off:
|       'passwd -x -1 login_name'

  A good tip, but what may be annoying to a hobbiest is a useful secuity
feature in some uses.
that the world is flat!" - anon

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (09/25/89)

  SCO Unix 3.2 dosent use /etc/shadow.  SCO 3.2 uses /tcb/files/auth/?/username
  If you want to try it, take out the passwd (encoded), at this location.

  SCO unix 3.2 uses a trusted database type system to meet C.2 security
standards.  I,ve not had time to really mess with it yet, and I,m no
expert on the tcb, but SCO unix 3.2 IS a MUCH more secure Unix then I,ve
ever seen before.

(standard disk-claimer)

Rick Furniss 208-526-3185

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (09/26/89)

A recent exchange:

>|  P.S. An annoying feature of unix 3.2 is password ageing. I don't know
>|       if its the same on the C2 version of SCO's unix but to turn it off:
>|       'passwd -x -1 login_name'
>
>  A good tip, but what may be annoying to a hobbiest is a useful secuity
>feature in some uses.

This comment is indicative of what is, sadly, a widespread fallacy:  That
anyone who uses a 2-user system without a need for password security is,
by implication, a hobbyist.  Many of us use personal Xenix systems for
serious work, but do all news-reading, mailing, etc. from a different ma-
chine.  I say this, not out of annoyance at the posting, but out of a
wish (naive?) that the Unix world not make the simplistic equation, single
or double-user system = (dumb or unimportant) "hobbyist."

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

In article <5529@tank.uchicago.edu>, goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
|  >He's quoting me, here:
|  >
|  >  A good tip, but what may be annoying to a hobbiest is a useful secuity
|  >feature in some uses.
|
|  This comment is indicative of what is, sadly, a widespread fallacy:  That
|  anyone who uses a 2-user system without a need for password security is,
|  by implication, a hobbyist.

  Actually I was refering to the spectrum of machines from the "1 user,
no external connections" to the public access systems. I was not
categorizing any particular machine as one thing or another, just
covering the bases on range of use. I use the term hobbyist in the sense
of a system used for personal, non-commercial purposes, not as a
perjurative in any sense.
that the world is flat!" - anon

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) (09/27/89)

PASSREQ=no doesn't work on SCO 3.2, and the word at Forum89 was that
it will not be made to work, thanks to C2 requirements.  This is not
a bug, it's a feature (alebit one I've flamed about more than once).

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (09/27/89)

In article <830@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) writes:
>PASSREQ=no doesn't work on SCO 3.2, and the word at Forum89 was that
>it will not be made to work, thanks to C2 requirements.

I'd strongly suggest checking out the login program John Haugh posted to
alt.sources a little while back.  Been running it on 2.3 for many, many
months now, and am very happy with it.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
Someday the whole country will be one big "Metroplex" - Zippy's friend Griffy