[comp.unix.xenix] Two HD controllers

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (09/15/89)

In article <56d2.250eedb5@ibmpcug.co.uk> ronald@ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) writes:
[...]
<Under SCO Xenix 2.3.1 and later, you can even have 2 controllers,
<and this makes things go *really fast*  I am using 2 WD1007A ESDI
<controllers, with one disc on each, and am getting terrific I/O
<performance from the machine.  And yes, one of the discs has 1224 cylinders
<which I had no problem with even when I was using Xenix 2.2.3 last week.
<
<But there's no doubt that adding the second controller is definitely
<a worthwhile investment--for an application mix which is mostly
<disc bound, meaning anything not development or CAD oriented, really,
<it actually effectively doubles the number of users you can support!
<
<--
<Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK (The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ)
<$Header: /users/ronald/.signature,v 1.1 89/09/03 23:36:16 ronald Exp $ :-)

Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
(RLL/MFM)?  Is it necessary to run a specific ESDI release of Xenix or
install one of SCO's patches to use ESDI drives?

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (09/17/89)

In article <37102@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
>Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
>(RLL/MFM)?  Is it necessary to run a specific ESDI release of Xenix or
>install one of SCO's patches to use ESDI drives?

I'm running stock 2.3.1 386 Xenix with two controllers - the first
a DTC 6280 ESDI with two drives, and the second a DTC 7187 RLL with
one drive.  No problems at all as far as Xenix is concerned.  HAd to
change a couple of parms in the kernel, and a hardware patch for the
interrupt line of the second controller.

I heard long ago that you can't have two controllers of the same type
(I don't know why, but would like to), but just about any other pairing
will work well.

Most people you talk to about combining controller will cite their
experiences with it in DOS -- which is a bit different because you
must maintain ROM compatibility and addressing.  You don't in Xenix,
but do have to pay attention to detail at boot time.  The cards can't
be set in a state that would cause them to interfere with each other
at that time.

--Bill

jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) (09/19/89)

In article <37102@conexch.UUCP>, root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
> Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
> (RLL/MFM)?  Is it necessary to run a specific ESDI release of Xenix or
> install one of SCO's patches to use ESDI drives?

The WD1007 emulates at the register level the "standard" AT drive controller
(for instance, the WD1006), so no special drivers are needed for it.  I have
one in the machine I'm using now, and it has vanilla 2.3.1 running.

To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.

-------------
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences --			Play:   jim@bahamut.fsc.com
A division of Ahlstrom			UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/19/89)

In article <246@bahamut.fsc.com> jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
}
}The WD1007 emulates at the register level the "standard" AT drive controller
}(for instance, the WD1006), so no special drivers are needed for it.  I have
}one in the machine I'm using now, and it has vanilla 2.3.1 running.
}
}To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
}different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.

At least some version's of the 1006 do. I have two installed on van-bc. Both
are the RLL version, one with Floppy, one without. Also have a SCSI
interface for a total of five hard disks.

I did have a weird configuration problem with the regular HD software. It
just wouldn't configure (dparam) the second disk on the second controller
properly. It kept going back to the same setup as the second disk on the
first contoller. I "fixed" it by using identical drives as drive two on both
controllers.

All in all, it makes for a zippy little system.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

You can run an Adaptek 2372 RLL controller as the 2nd controller on a
Xenix system, it has the jumpers to change the address. The WD series
must be jumpered with a soldering iron and xacto knife, although that
can be done.

that the world is flat!" - anon

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/20/89)

In article <397@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>You can run an Adaptek 2372 RLL controller as the 2nd controller on a
>Xenix system, it has the jumpers to change the address. The WD series
>must be jumpered with a soldering iron and xacto knife, although that
>can be done.

The addressing is changed by a jumper. The interrupt line must be done with
a jumper wire. I soldered on about a foot of wire wrap wire and placed a
small piece of non-conducting tape over the edge connector at the
appropriate place. This will allow me to return the board to it's original
condition simply by removing tape and snipping the wire.

The wire goes to another card which has a jumper for the correct interrupt
and is wire wrapped onto the post.

--

In article <289@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <246@bahamut.fsc.com> jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
>}
>}The WD1007 emulates at the register level the "standard" AT drive controller
>}(for instance, the WD1006), so no special drivers are needed for it.  I have
>}one in the machine I'm using now, and it has vanilla 2.3.1 running.
>}
>}To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
>}different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.
>
>At least some version's of the 1006 do. I have two installed on van-bc. Both
>are the RLL version, one with Floppy, one without. Also have a SCSI
>interface for a total of five hard disks.

Aha.  Perhaps the WD1006-SR1 have the proper jumper.  The one in question is
a capability to change the interrupt on the second board; that is missing
(the finger isn't there even!) on the WD1006-V/SR2.

All WD1006s can change the controller address, IF they have the jumpers.
All have the pads; feature 3 boards are missing the pins!  If you get a
feature 5 board it has all the pins you need.... but still requires some
hacking to change the IRQ line.

>I did have a weird configuration problem with the regular HD software. It
>just wouldn't configure (dparam) the second disk on the second controller
>properly. It kept going back to the same setup as the second disk on the
>first contoller. I "fixed" it by using identical drives as drive two on both
>controllers.

Turn off the BIOS on the secondary board (install W2 if on a WD1006VSR2,
other 1006s are similar).  The problem you are seeing is that both are trying
to mess with the first two drives, since the controller is relatively stupid
and doesn't know what you're up to.  Turning off the BIOS has no bad effects,
since it's not used or needed anyway once Xenix boots (and DOS/BIOS doesn't
know about secondary controllers).

To format the secondary drives is a pain in the neck; you need to set them
up temporarially as primary to do that.  Once formatted they will initialize
properly.

>All in all, it makes for a zippy little system.

Right on.  Those WD1006 boards are real smokers.  We love 'em.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (09/20/89)

In article <246@bahamut.fsc.com>, jim@bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
> In article <37102@conexch.UUCP>, root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
> > Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
> > (RLL/MFM)?  Is it necessary to run a specific ESDI release of Xenix or
> > install one of SCO's patches to use ESDI drives?
>
> To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
> different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.

Is there anyone out there that is aware of an AT controller card that has the
ability to be configured at another address and interrupt?
Is there anyone running multiple drive controller cards under SCO?
Are their any reasons why we couldn't run more then 1 drive controller
under SCO?

By the way, the WD-1007-WA2 is an ESDI to MFM converting controller, hence
the reason why it works under the standard vanilla SCO.
The WD-1003-WAH is a MFM Controller and was the standard controller shipped
with the PC/AT. The WD-1006-WAH is a MFM Controller with 1;1 interleaving
capability and full track buffering.  Roughly, (some of you get the finger
off the flame button! :-) ) the WD-1006-WAH offers almost a 40% performance
improvement over the WD-1003-WAH.  The WD-1005-WAH is an ESDI controller.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (09/20/89)

From article <385@crash.cts.com>, by bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue):
> In article <37102@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>>Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
>>Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
>>(RLL/MFM)?
>
> I'm running stock 2.3.1 386 Xenix with two controllers - the first
> a DTC 6280 ESDI with two drives, and the second a DTC 7187 RLL with
> one drive.

Those are the same controllers as far as the OS is concerned.

The DTC 6280 presents an ST506 presence to the host for compatibility
purposes.

The same is true ofthe DTC7187 RLL controller.

They also allow you to easily install drives with more than
1024 cylinders !)

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep20.002029.29212@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

> All WD1006s can change the controller address, IF they have the jumpers.
> All have the pads; feature 3 boards are missing the pins!  If you get a
> feature 5 board it has all the pins you need.... but still requires some
> hacking to change the IRQ line.

All WD-1006s?  I have two WD-1006-WAH and 4 extra Miniscribe 71 Meg MFM's
sitting around and my home system suffers from only 140 meg of storage.
Can I pop the other 1006 in and add two other drives?  If I have to cut
a trace or two, I need some detailed instructions since I have no manuals
for the controllers.

> Turn off the BIOS on the secondary board (install W2 if on a WD1006VSR2,
> other 1006s are similar).

Does this apply with the WAH controllers?  Also, I never heard of the
WD1006VSR2 controllers.  What is the difference between 1006WAH, and 1006VSR2?

--

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/21/89)

> Is there anyone out there that is aware of an AT controller card that has the
> ability to be configured at another address and interrupt?
> Is there anyone running multiple drive controller cards under SCO?
> Are their any reasons why we couldn't run more then 1 drive controller
> under SCO?

I was under the idea that SCO supported multiple controllers with 2 drives
each like ISC does.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/21/89)

All of the current crop of Adaptec controllers have jumpers for secondary
I/O ports and interrupts.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

In article <76@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>Is there anyone out there that is aware of an AT controller card that has the
>ability to be configured at another address and interrupt?

Yeah, Adaptec 2372s can be jumpered for both.  Most others can be set up for
a secondary address, but NOT interrupt (you get to do a jumper wire for
that).

>Is there anyone running multiple drive controller cards under SCO?
>Are their any reasons why we couldn't run more then 1 drive controller
>under SCO?

It works.  A little bit of a hassle to set up, but it works.

>The WD-1003-WAH is a MFM Controller and was the standard controller shipped
>with the PC/AT. The WD-1006-WAH is a MFM Controller with 1;1 interleaving
>capability and full track buffering.  Roughly, (some of you get the finger
>off the flame button! :-) ) the WD-1006-WAH offers almost a 40% performance
>improvement over the WD-1003-WAH.  The WD-1005-WAH is an ESDI controller.

The WD1006 series gives us a 100% performance increase over the ACB2372 or a
WD1003 series board, not 40%.  The difference is like night and day.  In
fact, on Xenix anyway, it's so close to ESDI performance that it is very
difficult to perceive a difference from a user perspective (it's there, but
only noticable under EXTREMELY heavy loads).  Soon we will hack up one of
our cards to work on a secondary address, then all 4 of our disks will
scream like the two primaries do now.

We love those boards, and SCO Xenix likes 'em too.  (then again we sell the
things, so I guess I'm somewhat biased :-)

--

In article <78@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>In article <1989Sep20.002029.29212@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>> All WD1006s can change the controller address, IF they have the jumpers.
>> All have the pads; feature 3 boards are missing the pins!  If you get a
>> feature 5 board it has all the pins you need.... but still requires some
>> hacking to change the IRQ line.

>All WD-1006s?  I have two WD-1006-WAH and 4 extra Miniscribe 71 Meg MFM's
>sitting around and my home system suffers from only 140 meg of storage.
>Can I pop the other 1006 in and add two other drives?  If I have to cut
>a trace or two, I need some detailed instructions since I have no manuals
>for the controllers.

Hmmm... No manuals, eh?  Well, try your dealer for those.  We have them, but
one with each board.... no extras unfortunately.

As for hacking the traces and the like, someone just posted an article on
just that subject.  It should still be around.

>> Turn off the BIOS on the secondary board (install W2 if on a WD1006VSR2,
>> other 1006s are similar).

>Does this apply with the WAH controllers?  Also, I never heard of the
>WD1006VSR2 controllers.  What is the difference between 1006WAH, and 1006VSR2?

The WD1006V/SR2 is a hard/floppy controller.  The older WAH boards aren't
all surface mount from what I understand, the VSRx series is.  I don't know
all the differences between them as far as jumpers and the like go.

There is also a SR1 board which is the same but less floppy control.

--

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep25.134552.27471@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

> Hmmm... No manuals, eh?  Well, try your dealer for those.  We have them, but
> one with each board.... no extras unfortunately.

Yea, thats what my dealer says!

I have tried to mail the original poster (Dave Dillabough) this via email, but
for one reason it is not getting to him, or I am not getting his response.
I want to thank him for the "idiot proof" description.  I am greatful.

Great! I ordered an external case w/ p/s.  However
I noticed my controller primary is mapped to 1F0 - 1F7, (Reported when
Xenix boots) not 178.  I wouldn't ask, except it looks like you took
great care to provide the detail you provided, and the fact that the
address is off, concerns me now.  Anything to worry about?