[comp.unix.xenix] Mylex SCSI Controller

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/20/89)

 Ok who is useing the Mylex DC376 SCSI Controller on a UNIX/XENIX machine.
 I'm interested to hear what the throughput is. The controller looks
 to be fairly new. This is what the ad says about it.

 * Has an onboard 80376.
 * The card uses the 32bit slot for 32bit IO
 * 13 Megabytes/sec transfer rate
 * Effective average .3ms seek
   (I hate when they say effective)
 * Emulates a WD controller (no special boot proms needed)
 * Software support for DOS, UNIX, Xenix and Nobell
 * Cache memory on board 1 or 4 meg simm modules.
   They didn't say total size but from the picture it looks like
   you can put 4 modules in.

 * Supports up to 7 SCSI drives, CD-roms, scanners etc etc.
 * They say the 32bit IO operates at 25 to 33Mhz.

 Seems like a hot controller. Might be on the expensive side.
 If anyone can please post what the real performance of the
 controller is.

 If anyone's serious about buying one of these
 Mylex Phone numbers:
 800-446-9539 outside ca.
 415-656-7857 inside ca.

 This is not meant to sound like an ad. I have nothing to do with
 Mylex or their products.

 I would like to see some benchmarks compareing the DTP ESDI
 Cacheing controller vs the Mylex SCSI Cacheing controller.

 ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/21/89)

>  Ok who is useing the Mylex DC376 SCSI Controller on a UNIX/XENIX machine.
>  I'm interested to hear what the throughput is. The controller looks
>  to be fairly new. This is what the ad says about it.

Hi Bob.  I have a friend in Indianapolis who just picked up one of the
new Mylex 33mhz motherboards with 4 megs and their 32 bit SCSI controller
to configure and run SCO 2.3.2.  After he gets this box up and running,
he will be tied into this (and other) newgroups and should be able
to shed some light.

Does ESIX directly support the 16550A in their ASY drivers?  I wish
that SCO did.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/23/89)

From article <111006@nstar.UUCP>, by larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):

> Hi Bob.  I have a friend in Indianapolis who just picked up one of the
> new Mylex 33mhz motherboards with 4 megs and their 32 bit SCSI controller

  I will also have access to one in a week or two. What I need is a good
benchmark to test it out. Does anyone know out in netland if such a
piece of software exsists?

> Does ESIX directly support the 16550A in their ASY drivers?  I wish
> that SCO did.

  If what your asking do they enable the FIFO in thier ASY drivers, no.
I don't think any of the UNIX suppliers or multi-port serial board
suppliers do. Of coarse thier is that asy driver you downloaded that
will enable it. I'm suprised they don't offer it.
I have had too many problems with ESIX's tty drivers.
Actually the problems are nothing but setting up the correct
conditions.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/23/89)

> I don't think any of the UNIX suppliers or multi-port serial board
> suppliers do. Of coarse thier is that asy driver you downloaded that

The X5 kernel configuration kit that Interactive (in California -
Hollis claims that they have never heard of it) directly supports
the 16550A FIFO buffering.

--
                                                               Larry Snyder
                                      uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
                                 The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site
                                                    Notre Dame, Indiana USA

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (09/24/89)

In article <8191@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

> Ok who is useing the Mylex DC376 SCSI Controller on a UNIX/XENIX machine.

I'd be a bit concerned: the board has an on-board cache, and
therefore can upset unix's notions of what order to do disk
writes in.  You might therefore incur a hard-disk inconsistency
unfixable by fsck if the system crashes in between writes.
I'd want to hear that the board had satisfied the driver writer
before I'd be comfortable bringing it up.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (09/25/89)

In article <653@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <111006@nstar.UUCP>, by larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>> Does ESIX directly support the 16550A in their ASY drivers?  I wish
>> that SCO did.

>Actually the problems are nothing but setting up the correct
>conditions.

No, there is more to it than turning on the FIFO's.  A driver that
was written without considering a FIFO will in general not try to
do enough work on each interrupt.  To take full advantage of the
550A's fifo you have to make different tradeoffs than you do for
8250's.

In particular, if you know you are likely to be working with 4-16
characters at a time you spend a lot more code setting up pointers
and such than you will if you expect 1, sometimes 2 characters.  Some
drivers will even return from the interrupt service routines before
completely filling/emptying the queues.

--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/25/89)

From article <111016@nstar.UUCP>, by larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>> I don't think any of the UNIX suppliers or multi-port serial board
>> suppliers do. Of coarse thier is that asy driver you downloaded that
>
> The X5 kernel configuration kit that Interactive (in California -
> Hollis claims that they have never heard of it) directly supports
> the 16550A FIFO buffering.

  I stand corrected, I poked around a bit and in asy.h thier is defines
for the fifo on the 16550. On ESIX it's enabled every 8 characters.
I was thinking about what you said about the comport not working
properly under vpix at 38400. I seem to have problems anywhere > 9600.
I wonder if vpix uses the fifo on the 16550 or if thier is any dos
software that would use it to help soulve this problem.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400
Work {sun|pyramid|decwrl}!megatest!palowoda (415)-623-8806 2400/9600/19200 TB
Voice: (415)-623-7495                        Public access UNIX XBBS

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (09/26/89)

Hopefully the Mylex will give 386 land the
*first* board that gives 900KB/sec disk I/O
like the Amiga (at Amiga prices hopefully)

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (09/26/89)

A couple of points on Mylex.  First, the company is a public company.  They
have been in business for a while.  The offer a two year warranty on all
their products (Compaq gives 90 days).

As for the question of the DC376 using the "AT32" bus being non-standard.  Well,
it is honestly no more non-standard than the memory cards in all of the
different 386 boxes out there now, and frankly that doesn't seem to be much
cause for concern.

Mylex, I'm told, will be releasing EISA versions of their network card and the
disk controller later this year (when EISA becomes available).

Considering the dozens of computer manufacturers out there, I am rather pleased
that one, at least, has done something NOW, to address higher performance.

In article <22542@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>Hopefully the Mylex will give 386 land the
>*first* board that gives 900KB/sec disk I/O
>like the Amiga (at Amiga prices hopefully)

That's funny...

The WD1007/WA2 has been clocked here at 950KB/second (ESDI 10 Mhz).  I
understand that the WD1008 (15Mhz ESDI) has been clocked at over
1300KB/second, although I haven't seen that one myself.  The DPT boards
have been clocked at that rate (950KB/sec) on cache misses.  On cache
hits the DPT board is off the top of scale on our tests; that is in
excess of 4MB/sec!

While the Mylex board may very well be nice, it's a bummer that it's limited
to the Mylex motherboards....of course, given the differences in 32-bit
slots I understand the limitations...

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

misha@aeras.UUCP (Michael Umansky) (09/28/89)

In article <22542@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>Hopefully the Mylex will give 386 land the
>*first* board that gives 900KB/sec disk I/O
>like the Amiga (at Amiga prices hopefully)
In my 25Mhz Micronics with 8Mhz AT bus and Adaptec AHA-1542A SCSI controller
and CDC WREN III SCSI drive I get about 900 KB/sec.  The Mylex controller
should deliver at least a magnitude more to be cost effective.
misha
--
NAME:	Michael Umansky (sun!aeras!foxy!misha)
WORK:	Arix Corp.;  821 Fox Lane;  San Jose, CA  95131