[comp.unix.xenix] VP/ix COM1 to XENIX COM2...?

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (09/22/89)

I know this might sound like kludge-city, but it would still be great
if it would work:

We would like to know if a MS-DOS program running under VP/ix in
SCO XENIX can talk to a serial port, say COM2.  But more than that!
Could we connect a null modem cable between COM1 and COM2, and then
have a XENIX process talk through COM1 to to the VP/ix application?

We would like to be able to use one machine to demonstrate our PC
software product (which would in normal circumstances be used on a
separate PC with a modem to connect to our XENIX host) all in one box,
rather than having to drag a PC and a serial cable along with the XENIX
machine whenever we go on the road.

Would VP/ix be able to handle that?

----- Brian L. Dear
      Coconut Computing, Inc.
      La Jolla, CA
      Home of the COCONET On-Line Information Service

From article <13733@well.UUCP>, by whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear):
> We would like to know if a MS-DOS program running under VP/ix in
> SCO XENIX can talk to a serial port, say COM2.  But more than that!
> Could we connect a null modem cable between COM1 and COM2, and then
> have a XENIX process talk through COM1 to to the VP/ix application?

Yes, it should work. VP/ix allows access to serial ports. I haven't
actually used the serial ports under VP/ix, but the manual claims you
can.

One thing to be aware of, if you are runnign VP/ix in MultiScreens on
the console and switch from the VPix screen to any other screen, your
VP/ix process stops.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu [35.8.8.108]

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (09/22/89)

>One thing to be aware of, if you are runnign VP/ix in MultiScreens on
>the console and switch from the VPix screen to any other screen, your
>VP/ix process stops.

No, no!  Not anymore.  See section B.6 of the update notes for update
A (1.0 -> 1.1).  You can continue processing off screen tasks, but only
if you have a cga, herc, or mda installed.  Too bad if you have an
EGA or VGA.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/22/89)

usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

>One thing to be aware of, if you are runnign VP/ix in MultiScreens on
>the console and switch from the VPix screen to any other screen, your
>VP/ix process stops.

Only for VP/ix 1.00 and 1.01.   The latest release (Update A) is 1.1, and
has an option to let VP/ix run even if it is on a non-visible Multiscreen.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

In article <4693@cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

|  One thing to be aware of, if you are runnign VP/ix in MultiScreens on
|  the console and switch from the VPix screen to any other screen, your
|  VP/ix process stops.

  In the new update to VP/ix this is supposedly fixed for some displays.
If you can live with one of those the process will run on. I have *not*
tried it, since VGA is not a supported display type for continued
operation.

  Be warned, it has been reported that typing as UNIX command, such as
ls, in VP/ix with the update installed will hang the system. I don't
have the guts to try it.
that the world is flat!" - anon

whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) (09/23/89)

>your VP/ix process stops

Does it "die" or just "feeeze" until you come back to whatever Alt-Functionkey
multiscreen the VP/ix application is running on?

oops.. make that "freeze"...

-- brian

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/23/89)

> Yes, it should work. VP/ix allows access to serial ports. I haven't
> actually used the serial ports under VP/ix, but the manual claims you
> can.

VP/ix doesn't handle high baud rates (38400) very well - like when doing
Zmodem transfers.

--
                                                               Larry Snyder
                                      uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry

From article <13768@well.UUCP>, by whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear):

>>your VP/ix process stops
>
> Does it "die" or just "feeeze" until you come back to whatever Alt-Functionkey
> multiscreen the VP/ix application is running on?
>
> oops.. make that "freeze"...

It "freezes". As others have pointed out ver 1.1 doesn't halt the job on
mono, herc, or cga when you change screens. Personally I'm using ver
1.01 and VGA, so I'm screwed both ways... ;-)

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/25/89)

> It "freezes". As others have pointed out ver 1.1 doesn't halt the job on
> mono, herc, or cga when you change screens. Personally I'm using ver
> 1.01 and VGA, so I'm screwed both ways... ;-)

I thought that there was a configuration option in /usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.???
to disable this "option".

Is SCO shipping the same version of VP/ix for both Unix and Xenix?

--
Larry Snyder
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site
Notre Dame, Indiana USA

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (09/25/89)

   According to my docs, vpix dosent run in the background multiscreen
if you have VGA.  This is what I find on my system , SCO Unix 3.2,
Vpix 1.1 with update A.

   I also dont remember anything about update A allowing the option
of running multiscreen vpix sessions on inactive screen ??
    How do you turn this option on, just in case it may work?

(standard disk-claimer)

Rick Furniss  208-526-3185

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/25/89)

From article <4738@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
> From article <13768@well.UUCP>, by whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear):
>>

>>>your VP/ix process stops
>>
>> Does it "die" or just "feeeze" until you come back to whatever Alt-Functionkey
>> multiscreen the VP/ix application is running on?
>>
>> oops.. make that "freeze"...
>>
> It "freezes". As others have pointed out ver 1.1 doesn't halt the job on
> mono, herc, or cga when you change screens. Personally I'm using ver
> 1.01 and VGA, so I'm screwed both ways... ;-)

  I use Simul-Task 2.0 (which is VPIX 1.01 modifed by ATT) on a Vega
VGA and don't see this problem. I used Telix (a dos comm program) and
downloaded files, with turboc compiling a program in another dos window,
and a couple of unix apps running in other virtual terminals and flip
back and forth between them. The two problems I have noticed are
some dos programs like to switch to some screen mode that blanks the
the screen. And when I use the 50 line mode in VGA my cursor disappears.
Anyone know with this screen mode switch that's causeing this? Or a tsr
that I can use to get it back. I know the program is still running in
the background because I can use the keyboard and blindly exit the
program.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (09/26/89)

From article <721@fiver.UUCP>, by palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda):
> From article <4738@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
>> From article <13768@well.UUCP>, by whofan@well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear):
>
> back and forth between them. The two problems I have noticed are
> some dos programs like to switch to some screen mode that blanks the
> the screen. And when I use the 50 line mode in VGA my cursor disappears.
> Anyone know with this screen mode switch that's causeing this?

 Oh boy do I have mud in my face. I found out the the auto switching mode
of the VEGA card was causeing it. Sorry to waste net bandwidth.
---Bob

--

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (09/28/89)

In article <4693@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>One thing to be aware of, if you are runnign VP/ix in MultiScreens on
>the console and switch from the VPix screen to any other screen, your
>VP/ix process stops.

In the newest release of VP/ix you CAN run VP/ix in the backgroud (I.E in a
multiscreen) without it halting. The only stipulation is that you need to
be running CGA or MONO.
--
Michael R. Johnston                              mikej@lilink.COM
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej