[comp.unix.xenix] Can Xenix read Sun 1/4" tapes ?

tan@bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson) (09/27/89)

    I've been able to write tapes which the Suns can read, but not
visa versa. I've got a Bell Technologies XTC controller and board
using the standard xenix tape drivers, and am running 2.3.3
    Is there some combination I have not tried yet?
--
Tan Bronson		(home) tan@microvation.com (or tan@bronson.uucp)
Microvation Consultants (work) bronson@multiflow.com

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/28/89)

In article <6@bronson.UUCP>, tan@bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:
>     I've been able to write tapes which the Suns can read, but not
> visa versa. I've got a Bell Technologies XTC controller and board
> using the standard xenix tape drivers, and am running 2.3.3

>     Is there some combination I have not tried yet?

The Bell Tech drive (I assume you are using the 60 meg version) uses the
QIC-24 data format on the tape.  For a sun 3 this format is read/written
on the /dev/rst8 port.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/28/89)

tan@bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:

>    I've been able to write tapes which the Suns can read, but not
>visa versa. I've got a Bell Technologies XTC controller and board
>using the standard xenix tape drivers, and am running 2.3.3

If you can write a tape that the sun can read, then the sun has a
different tape drive.  It probably is about double the capacity of your
tape drive, and writes a much thinner track of information (because it
has double the number of tracks).  I have been able to read tapes made
on a sun, but I had verified that the sun had a 60 meg drive.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

In article <6@bronson.UUCP>, tan@bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:

|      I've been able to write tapes which the Suns can read, but not
|  visa versa.

  For what it's worth I have been able to write cpio -c tapes on a Sun
/dev/rst8 which work on Xenix. I *think* I did a tar tape, but that's
not the format I usually run. You may have two drives which are slightly
out of line, in opposite directions.
that the world is flat!" - anon

daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) (09/29/89)

In article <6@bronson.UUCP> tan@bronson.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:
>    I've been able to write tapes which the Suns can read, but not
>visa versa. I've got a Bell Technologies XTC controller and board
>using the standard xenix tape drivers, and am running 2.3.3
>    Is there some combination I have not tried yet?

With high density drives on both machines, the tapes should be
interchangeable.

However, it sounds like you have a low density, 60-mb drive (most Xenix
systems do) and the Sun has a high density, 120-mb drive (most Suns do).
In this case the low density tapes will be readable on the high density
drive, but not vice-versa.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com