[comp.unix.xenix] setting the path for an rsh account

paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) (09/30/89)

Hi there netlanders!

I am trying to create an account that can be used for demonstrations,
but I'm having a problem.

The system is SCO XENIX 386, and I have made the login shell to be
rsh.  The default .profile sets the path to include /bin and /usr/bin.
Unfortunetly csh is in /bin and all the user has to do to bypass the
shell restrictions is type

$ csh

I have created a directory called /bin/rsh.commands and changed the
path line in the .profile to

set PATH=/bin/rsh.commands

but when I login to this account the environment PATH variable says
PATH /bin:/usr/bin

The final line of the .profile says export PATH.  So what gives?  What
am I doing wrong?

Frank Paterra
paterra@cs.odu.edu

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (10/01/89)

In article <10058@xanth.cs.odu.edu> paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:

[ account of setting up rsh account deleted...]

>I have created a directory called /bin/rsh.commands and changed the
>path line in the .profile to

>set PATH=/bin/rsh.commands
 ^^^
>but when I login to this account the environment PATH variable says
>PATH /bin:/usr/bin

Your problem is you are confusing csh and sh syntax. What you want to use
is:
	PATH=/bin/rsh.commands;export PATH

Cheers,

Disclaimer: IMHO.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -