[comp.unix.xenix] RFC822 Standard Mail

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (10/01/89)

I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and would like to exchange mail with
an Internet host which runs 4.3-BSD/sendmail.  Could someone please
tell me which packages/versions would allow me to exchange RFC822
standard mail (domain-style addressing) with them?  The mail/rmail
which comes with SCO XENIX does not seem to support domains/Internet
addressing/headers.  Aside from which package/version, could you
please let me know where I might be able to ftp it from.

				Thanks in Advance,
					--Carmen
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu

curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (10/01/89)

In article <4982@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and would like to exchange mail with
>an Internet host which runs 4.3-BSD/sendmail.  Could someone please
>tell me which packages/versions would allow me to exchange RFC822
>standard mail (domain-style addressing) with them?  ...
>Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
>INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
>UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!islenet!manapua!carmen

I am unclear whether you want to address mail using the domain name
system and have it leave your machine via uucp, or whether your system
is on an ethernet LAN connected to the internet and you want to use
SENDMAIL to communicate with BSD 4.3 systems via SMTP.

If you want to use UUCP, there are two programs named "smail" and
"pathalias" that are used for these sorts of things.  They are
available from many of the archive sites such as j.cc.purdue.edu if
I recall correctly.

To perform the later, you will need SCO steams (lists for $95) and
SCO TCP/IP runtime (lists for $595).  This includes
ftp/telnet/ftpd/telnetd,smtp mail (rfc822), r-utilities, etc.  One word of
warning is that the back on 27-May-1989 the TCP/IP was in a controlled
release with a known sendmail bug where they would automatically send
an update as soon as it was fixed.  I assume it has already been fixed.
Also, SCO's TCP/IP is available only for 386 with no plans for 286.
I believe you can achieve the same functionality with even better
performance by using the Excelan intelligent ethernet board and software
that can be purchased as a kit, but it probably costs a little more.
The SCO TCP/IP works with only non-intelligent ethernet boards, namely
the 3com 3c501 and Western Digital WD8003 Etherlink+.

ray curci
curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) (10/02/89)

In article <232@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu> curci@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Raymond Curci) writes:
>If you want to use UUCP, there are two programs named "smail" and
>"pathalias" that are used for these sorts of things.  They are
>available from many of the archive sites such as j.cc.purdue.edu if
>I recall correctly.

Yes, I would like to address mail using the the domain name system
and have it leave the system via UUCP bound for networks which use
Sendmail and communicate amongst each other via SMTP.  Therefore,
the mail headers, etc. need to conform to RFC822 standards.

So far I have Elm, Version 2.2, Patch Level 11, which I belive to
be the latest version/patch level.  (Could someone verify that?)
It will replace SCO "mail" and act as the user interface.

I would like to replace SCO "rmail" with Smail.  I have not been
able to locate it though, could someone please tell me what the
latest version/patch level is?  and where I could ftp it from?

Does Elm require both Smail and Pathalias to accomplish the above
task?  If so, what is the latest version/patch level of Pathalias?
Where can I ftp it from also?

While executing the Elm "Configure" script, it ask for the location
of two files, the Pathalias "data" file and a uumail-style "domains"
file.  Where can I obtain a "domains" file from?  Is it something
that you generate locally?  If so, with what?

In preparation for the installation of Elm,  I messed around with
what I think is an older version of Pathalias.  I fed Pathalias the
latest "u.usa.hi.1" and it produced two files, which is the one Elm
expects?  If I recall right, one had a "dat" extension and the other
a "pat" extension.  I have have since deleted this version of
Pathalias in hopes of finding the latest version on the net.

I would appreciate any assistance, all of this is rather new to me.
For those of you which may have missed the original posting, the
system is running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1.  Thanks in advance!

				--Carmen
--
Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
INET: islenet!manapua!carmen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!islenet!manapua!carmen

In article <4982@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
|  I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and would like to exchange mail with
|  an Internet host which runs 4.3-BSD/sendmail.

  You don't need RFC822 if the sendmail is installed correctly. Out mail
gateway gets uucp mail without problems. If what you're trying to do is
speak TCP/IP you will need to get the package from SCO (or Excelan, etc)
and some hardware. You might try running over a serial line (SLIP) which
is in the SCO package. If you want to translate internet style addresses
to uucp you can run smail (archives in uunet) to change the format.

  Other than style there is no reason why you need a new mailer to talk
to sendmail. It will accept the same bang addresses you have been using,
unless someone has removed the capability.
that the world is flat!" - anon