[comp.unix.xenix] Swho, Fido, or anything like it.

root@gutarman.UUCP (> System Administrator) (10/02/89)

I'm running Xexnix 386 SysV ver 2.3.2, and I have , at times, up to 30 users.
Most of these are remotes, which I am mainly trying to monitor.  What I'm
looking for is a program that does a constant "w" or "ps -ef".  I could simply
do:
while true
do
clear
sleep 2
done

but this isn't really good enough (too simple).  Anyhow, I think what I need
is fido or swho, but I can't get either one to work.  Has anyone gotten
these programs to compile under Xenix, or does anyone have anything similar
to it?

Thanks in advance....

                                                        -, _ /:
                                                        \ o.O ,
Robert Hough                                            =(___)=
Home of "Rob's Rough House" 901-385-5336                   U     Ack!
5175 Elmore Rd. Suite 5  Memphis, TN  38134                        Phfft!
!uunet!gutarman!robert  (it's guitar man, Doug....not gutter man...)

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (10/04/89)

In article <37@gutarman.UUCP>, root@gutarman.UUCP (> System Administrator) writes:
> I'm running Xexnix 386 SysV ver 2.3.2, and I have , at times, up to 30 users.
> Most of these are remotes, which I am mainly trying to monitor.  What I'm
> looking for is a program that does a constant "w" or "ps -ef".  I could simply
> [sample script deleted]
> but this isn't really good enough (too simple).  Anyhow, I think what I need
> is fido or swho, but I can't get either one to work.  Has anyone gotten
> these programs to compile under Xenix, or does anyone have anything similar
> to it?
> Robert Hough                                            =(___)=
> Home of "Rob's Rough House" 901-385-5336                   U     Ack!
> !uunet!gutarman!robert  (it's guitar man, Doug....not gutter man...)

I use a public domain utility called "ups" for Ultimate PS, and it is indead
a real winner.  In fact, I keep it running all the time with the output
re-directed to an unused tty on the console (F11).  This does just what you
want, and is updated about once a minute.  When ever someone logs in, I can
just Alt-F11 and see what they are into.  If I run it in forground, I can
scroll up and down the list, kill items off, etc.  If you can't find it,
let me know, and I will uucp it to you..
bruce

	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+